mdf doors

I want to make three door fronts, 5/8 inch thick. The door sizes are about

26 by 30 inches high. Would MDF be alright? I am not sure about putting hinge screws into the end board. I have that MDF available, the other material would be plywood, but I'd have to buy that.. Thanks
Reply to
George Graham

Unless you insert some hardwood where the screws are going to go, you're better off using euro hinges with MDF. An MDF door that size is going to be rather heavy. You might need to use 3 hinges.

Reply to
mp

I just put new hinges on "veneered" particleboard doors on our kitchen cabinets. Ugly! Pain in the ass getting screws to stay - had to drill and re-drill and glue and fill -- yuk!

I built doors using face frames and poplar plywood. They look better than the kitchen cabinets - and were cheap and intended to be "rough usage".

biscuits and cut a groove to hold the plywood panel. Stained it after using Minwax conditioner.

Now that I have regained a lot of my skills it would be mortise and tenon face frames.

MDF? Never again!!!

George Graham wrote:

Reply to
Will

Hi George,

I have to agree with the others - I don't think that I would use MDF alone for doors. I have made many doors with MDF panels and a poplar frame, but the MDF alone would not hold up IMHO.

If you do use it, the Euro 35mm hinge would be necessary I think.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

I'd pass on the MDF. If the doors are for a shop cabinet, then plywood whould be fine. If the doors are for the kitchen or other area that you care about, make simple frame and panel doors.

Dave

TeamCasa

If you use MDF, and I've done a lot of doors in MDF, you have to paint it well, so it doesn't suck up any moisture. And I'd use Euro cup hinges, though.

Reply to
mare

MDF is not the same as particle board.

Depending on your shop environment unpainted MDF can pick up mositure.

I live in SoCal & use MDF for all sorts of garage / shop cabinets, tool racks & shelves. I pre-paint the sheets with an epoxy paint (esp the edges). I second coat after assembly cutting & assembly

It accepts paint very well & with the epxoy paint the stuff is damn near waterproof.

If you use LONG screws you can get away with going into edge grain. The 5/8" sheet is pretty thin though. Otherwise use hinges that allow face grain screws. The door is going to be a little on the heavy side, use some good sized hinges.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207