mdf doors

I want to make three door fronts, 5/8 inch thick. The door sizes are about 26 by 30 inches high. Would MDF be alright? I am not sure about putting hinge screws into the end board. I have that MDF available, the other material would be plywood, but I'd have to buy that.. Thanks

Unless you insert some hardwood where the screws are going to go, you're better off using euro hinges with MDF. An MDF door that size is going to be rather heavy. You might need to use 3 hinges.
I just put new hinges on "veneered" particleboard doors on our kitchen cabinets. Ugly! Pain in the ass getting screws to stay - had to drill and re-drill and glue and fill -- yuk!
I built doors using face frames and poplar plywood. They look better than the kitchen cabinets - and were cheap and intended to be "rough usage".
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/productsbusiness/productsother.html
Used biscuits and cut a groove to hold the plywood panel. Stained it after using Minwax conditioner.
Now that I have regained a lot of my skills it would be mortise and tenon face frames.
MDF? Never again!!!
George Graham wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

I'd pass on the MDF. If the doors are for a shop cabinet, then plywood whould be fine. If the doors are for the kitchen or other area that you care about, make simple frame and panel doors.
Dave

If you use MDF, and I've done a lot of doors in MDF, you have to paint it well, so it doesn't suck up any moisture. And I'd use Euro cup hinges, though.
--
mare

MDF is not the same as particle board.
Depending on your shop environment unpainted MDF can pick up mositure.
I live in SoCal & use MDF for all sorts of garage / shop cabinets, tool racks & shelves. I pre-paint the sheets with an epoxy paint (esp the edges). I second coat after assembly cutting & assembly
It accepts paint very well & with the epxoy paint the stuff is damn near waterproof.
If you use LONG screws you can get away with going into edge grain. The 5/8" sheet is pretty thin though. Otherwise use hinges that allow face grain screws. The door is going to be a little on the heavy side, use some good sized hinges.
cheers Bob