MDF Desk top

I would like some input on a built in desk I'm building. The overall length will be 8'6" and 23" deep. The desk will be built from MDF. (Yes I know many would suggest using a quality plywood, but the MDF was free 5 sheets of 3/4 4x9.) The desk will be supported by basically two boxes 34" wide on each end leaving roughly 36" in the middle for an work area. The desk top will be supported all the way across the front and back edge. Is a single layer of MDF going to work as a desk top or should I double it? The desk top will have a small TV on one end and a computer in the middle.
Thanks for all the input on clamps. I was getting ready to order other items from Rockler and will most likely add on some bar clamps.
Thanks Robert R.

It's possible that a single sheet would be OK across a 36" wide opening, but I think I would go ahead and double it anyway, especially if it's free. I'm still now wild about an MDF desktop, free or not. How are you protecting the edges?
todd
Make sure that you will be happy with the appearance of the desk before you cut the wood.
The MDF is strong enough depending on what you mean by "the desk top will be supported all the way across --". I have a an MDF desk top that is 40" between the end supports. The top has a glued on support along the front of 1x3 oak. I have a 21" monitor (very heavy) in the middle of the desk. No problems.
Dick

It should be OK with the support you have.
Only problem I see is the weight. Unless your wife has a fork lift truck, it will never get moved for cleaning.
On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 00:01:52 -0500, "Robert Rushing"

Free or not, use that for some other future, less needful project and do the desk properly. What you got is a whole lot of free pressed paper.
Bill.

Which could be perfectly suitable for a desktop. The OP didnt mention how he plans to finish it or exactly what his needs are. If he intends to veneer it or add a laminate, MDF will be just fine.

The desk top will be have Formica on the top. I thought it would provide a smooth writing surface and a durable finish around a teenage.
Robert

I have a desk that was covered with Formica about 35 or 40 years ago. Been through a couple of kids and assorted uses and still is in good shape. If the top wears, replace the kid instead.
IMO, it is a bit too hard for writing with a single sheet of paper, but a desk pad works wonders. Oh, it is great for spill and rings from soda cans. Ed

I'd be inclined to beef up the opening. maybe with a cleat across the front and back. This is going to be very heavy and another layer of MDF is going to make it a lot heavier.