MDF

--WebTV-Mail-9575-179 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
Can MDF be used for outdoor lawn ornaments?
Arnold Carpenter
--WebTV-Mail-9575-179 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-9575-179--
Arnold Carpenter writes:

Given the look of most lawn ornaments, it's probably a good idea.
No. It will collapse in the first light rain. There is a waterproof or water resistant version, but it's not exactly easy to find around here.
Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
It would make good disposable lawn ornaments!
--
HomeBrewer

http://home.earthlink.net/~t3e871/index.html
Go, 'one level up' - use OSB.
I used some - so cheap a full sheet can be used like 'scraps' - to make a couple of 'Pink Flamingos' and accompanying 'Palm Tree'. Figured it would get 'peely & chippy' fairly quick, but that would actually 'accentuate' the 'feathers & foliage'. Also made a 'Great White Shark' for the raised beds.
That was about 3 years ago . . . and they still look new !! The 'Shark' was fastened to the side of one bed and hasn't been touched for the entire time . . . rain, snow, sun, 'minor flooding', mud, and two Malamutes. An occasional rinse with the hose, and 'Bob's Your Uncle !!'. The only 'prep' I did was a couple of coats of Killz II primer, then a couple of coats of waterbased 'finish colors'.

OSB has gone sky high since we started rebuilding Iraq. Around $25 in Kentucky at Lowe's
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"Ron Magen" < snipped-for-privacy@att.net> wrote in message
yeah. 'xactly
i finished my shop walls/ceiling w/ the 7/16 stuff when it was 4.99 a sheet (sheetrock was like 4.59).
then awhile back i saw it creeping upwards.. HD was up to 17-19 a sheet. it was coming down last i looked.. 12ish i believe..
it was great for garage shelving, etc.. guess i'll wait it out..
On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 19:24:38 -0500, "KYHighlander"

Anyone check the price of masking tape lately? I went to get some more blue tape for painting and it ws up to $4.49 a roll for the ONE inch! Regular beige masking tape was $1.89-$2.29. What happened?
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 23:00:10 -0700, nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net brought forth from the murky depths:

------ We're born hungry, wet, naked, and it gets worse from there. - http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -
nothing happened. the blue 3M tapes have always been pricey. And I buy them anyway, because the are better than cheap masking tape.
dave
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 05:44:17 -0500 (EST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (arnold carpenter) wrote:

sure.
they'll last a season or so, depending how much rain your neighborhood gets. they'll look pretty crappy pretty soon though. considering how tacky most lawn ornaments are letting them decay may be an improvement.....
    Bridger
If you must make lawn ornaments you would be better off using MDO. It is designed to be painted and for outdoor use.
Woodpecker
<Can MDF be used for outdoor lawn ornaments? < <Arnold Carpenter
<Stay Happy and Healthy