McFeely's (Should I be upset?)

Page 2 of 2

People seem to have this backwards. UPS is responsible to the *shipper* not the recipient. The shipper pays the UPS charges, at least as far as UPS is concerned, and if there is loss or damage the shipper has to initiate the request for compensation. I know, I had UPS totally screw up a package for me once and when I called them they told me I had to get the shipper to file the complaint before they would even look into it. In that particular case they never made good on it, but that was many years ago and the guys who work for them in my area now seem to actually do a good job. FedEx is a little sketchy, but UPS does great, and I have never had a problem with USPS.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:33:17 -0700, mp wrote:

Whenever a vendor offers me a choice, I choose someone other than UPS. By "choice", I include those vendors who carelessly leave a text box available for me to include additional instructions.
I simply tell them that I get poor service to my address and that if they can't ship via some other carrier, to cancel the order. UPS acts like I live in a crack neighborhood and won't even leave a pkg. in between my storm door and my main door. This causes me to make a 12 mile round trip to the UPS facility that 'services' my address ... located in a GENUINE crack neighborhood. (I used to be a teacher about 100 yards away from their depot.) There is another UPS facility located about 4 miles closer to me and directly on my way home from work, but it doesn't handle my address. As far as I am concerned, neither UPS facility handles my address.
The UPS guy wouldn't leave a small box of tomato seeds in my front door ... much less anything that would need to be left outside of it (the view from the street is blocked by evergreen foundation plantings -- the package would only be visible to people already on the porch), but the Fedex guy delivered a printer to my side door. The UPS guy leaves a note telling me that I wasn't home and that the merchandise will be shipped back to the merchant if I don't come get it. The Fedex guy leaves a note, too. His note reads "Your package is by your side door, sign where indicated and leave this note where you found it so I can pick it up tomorrow."
UPS has this fancy package tracking service. That means that I could follow the computer I sent my son in Minnesota (from Detroit) as it made its way to Chicago (twice), Cleveland (once) Grand Rapids (twice), Portland, Or (once) and Bismarck, ND before finally being dropped off, crushed, on his porch.
UPS refused to honor the insurance I had bought because I wasn't a company, just an individual. (That didn't stop them from collecting the premium, though.) The shipping box had been lined with a plastic bag, the computer had been wrapped in a plastic bag and then the whole rest of the box was packed with foam-in-place urethane. You know the stuff ... like the aerosol "Great Stuff" that seals around pipes going to the outside of your house. The box was rigid, the computer was well cushioned. Had the parcel simply gone to St. Paul early in the saga, my son would have had the computer he needed for school. Instead, all he got was a box that rattled from the glass of the broken monitor. Even the motherboard was cracked from some impact along the way.
It was bad enough that they trashed that computer but it was salt in the wound when they refused to honor their insurance contract. I'll NEVER willingly do business with them again. Because they didn't honor that contract, I wasn't able to even send my son the money to buy a computer locally. (I was unemployed at the time and hadn't a dime to spare.) That was just "wrong" on so many levels that I just don't care to deal with that company again. The sour taste is still there.
Bill

McFeelys is doing you a favor. Your beef is with UPS, not the shipper. They could just tell you to call UPS and work it out yourself.
Are they calling you a liar? No, UPS wants to see the damage if they are paying a claim. They have that right. What makes you so special that they should trust you and not everyone else that makes a claim for damage or missing product? It will cost more to verify the claim that to pay it, but it is how they keep fraud to a minimum.
IMO, you are being a crybaby over something that happens on a regular basis with UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc. Shit Happens---deal with it. You are getting good customer service from McFeelys. Appreciate it.
Had a problem w/ UPS caused damage. Was told 7 to 10 days also. A driver was there the next day.

Actually I believe if the packaging had been better it would have never happened in the first place...so part of my beef is with McFeely's.

That's funny, I receive on average about 5-10 boxes a week at my home, mostly for my SWMBO's business from all of the above shippers. In the past three years, let's see 5 boxes a week times 52 weeks times 36 months. Holy shit... that's over 9000 packages and this is my first problem with something "coming out of a box". Yeah...I do think it was the way it was packaged and McFeely's was the one who packed it.
CW2 Ken Gunter
CH-47D Instructor Pilot & Woodworker
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMch47.org http://www.ch47.org

I'm in the packaging business. No matter how well we design a package, someone, somewhere will damage the product. If McFeelys had a bad track record, UPS would refuse their products.

If your perception is as bad as your math, you may have other problems.

Uhhhhhh...Ooooops
Trying to prove a point and screwed up the simple stuff. :) Oh well I guess that would be 780...are you sure that 52 weeks and 36 months can't be multiplied???? Just joking.
Thanks Edwin for straightening me out.
CW2 Ken Gunter
CH-47D Instructor Pilot & Woodworker
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMch47.org http://www.ch47.org

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Measure thrice, ask somebody else and cut once, eh?
helo-pilot wrote:

I feel for you, but McFeeleys has a really good rep here, and as the supplier to several woodworking shops, a woodworking school, and a small wooden deck furniture factory in my local area.
FWIW, Lee Valley, who has a stellar track record both here and in my personal experience, had a package totally destroyed by FedEx Ground on it's way to me. To make matters worse, the package arrived with an aerosol can of 100% SILICONE in it, compliments of FedEx. <G> Just what I want in the shop!
Hang in there, McFeeley's is a class act, they'll make you whole.
Barry
I'm in the computer business and I have had UPS guys "roll" boxes into my office. I pointed out to them that it said in large letters, computer equipment and FRAGIL on all four sides. I have yet to have one say anything in explanation.
The next time... REFUSE to sign for it and do not accept the package.
McFeelys runs a pretty class act and I'm sure they will make it good.
helo-pilot wrote:

In the small package business FRAGILE is an Italian word for 'kick hard here'.
Steve P.

Highland Pairos wrote:

I tend to agree. The guy I ship most of my stuff through keeps reminding me not to put that ANYWHERE on my boxes.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Highland Pairos wrote:

Company I worked for before we were sold was engaged in building marine (for commercial pleasurecraft) radios a number of years ago. One of their qualification tests for both packaging assessment and product resiliance was called the "UPS Test" For this test they would package the test article as it would be delivered to a customer and send it by UPS to one of our satellite facilities. Upon receipt, the package was assessed for ability to contain all small parts without loss through the holes induced by shipping and the product evaluated for operability after shipment.

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 16:24:44 GMT, "Highland Pairos"

I thought it meant, "start truck tire roll here" :-)

Ken - McFeely's is a stand-up business. I think this is "normal channels" working their way out. If this is the first time it's happened, let it run its course and give us a read-out in the end.
I've only ordered from McFeely's 3 or 4 times. I had one error - shipped the wrong item - only once. I did NOT complain for three reasons: (1) it was free and I don't look at gift horse's mouths (2) I really didn't need the item I ordered (3) I could really use the item they shipped.
Never had a damage issue.
Also see if the UPS "umpteen days" ends up being 2 or 3...

Talk about a company that knows their customers!
Patriarch

Talk about niche marketing!!
Lee Michaels wrote:

I can't believe you just said McFeely's has PMS! =^)
When a package arrives damaged (most likely UPS) I ask the driver to stay whilel I inspect box contents. Often this embarrasses the driver, but missing or damaged items can be immediately taken care of by the delivery service company. I have never had missing items, but broken items and incorrect items are more common. Allow McFeely's and UPS to do what they need to do. I'd probably complain more after 2-3 weeks and expect the order to "make it right" within 30 days. Forget about shipping fragile items via UPS.
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:06:52 GMT, "helo-pilot"