McFeely's (Should I be upset?)

Page 1 of 2

Last week I ordered about 10 things from McFeely's. The box arrived about four days later via UPS but had visible damage to the box itself (hole gouged in the side). I opened it up and took an inventory and noticed 4 items were missing. Proceeded to call customer service and tell them what was missing and requested they resend the missing items. They then told me they would send an UPS person to my house to "verify the damage" in 8-10 days. I feel that they are just calling me a big fat liar wanting to verify the damage and all. For someone that has gone through this before, is this a normal practice? Should I be complaining a little more? It's like 10 dollars in product...give me a break.
THANKS ALL!!!!
CW2 Ken Gunter
CH-47D Instructor Pilot & Professional Woodworker
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMch47.org http://www.ch47.org

This is standard practice with UPS. It seems they regularly trash parcels and the inspectors are so far behind that it takes a while for them to get to you. UPS needs to verify that the package was damaged in shipping and the packaging was up to par. Once that is done you're expected to submit a claim to UPS and wait another 3 or 4 months to get your money. Some vendors will handle UPS damaged goods claims for you, others wash their hands of any responsibility once the shipment leaves their warehouse. If you're lucky McFeely's will handle this for you, once UPS confirms the damage.
I avoid these kinds of issues by avoiding UPS whenever possible. In any case, when I receive a trashed UPS delivery, before signing I ask the driver to attach a note such as "carton shows shipping damage". This helps to accelerate any damage claims. Sometimes it's obvious that the item inside is damaged, in which case I just refuse delivery due to damaged/missing contents.
> I avoid these kinds of issues by avoiding UPS whenever possible. In any

Yeah, right. The UPS guys around here leave the truck idling in the middle of the street, run the package up & drop it on your porch, (sometimes) ring the doorbell, and are gone before you can get your duff off the couch.

At least they stop. I suspect they sometimes just kick the parcel out the door as they're speeding by.
mp wrote: <snip>

You must have a better UPS in your area than in mine. Where I live they drop it off on your front porch and run like hell.
Glen

It's funny how different folks can have completely different experiences with a vendor or shipper. I buy most of my computer and WW parts/supplys online and receive several boxes per week. Other than one time where the UPS driver swiped the barcode and didn't deliver the package (Heavy storm and decided not to get out of the truck and walk 200 feet to the house and came back later) and the tracking info said it was delivered, but no package found, I have never had a delevery with any substantial damage or missing items.
My beef is with the USPS, who refuses to deliver any packages to the house and instead puts a note in my mailbox for me to pick it up. It seems that if a package does not fit in the mailbox, the USPS is under no obligation to actuall deliver the package to the door. I avoid the USPS and insist that things be shipped UPS.
--
Al Reid

Al Reid notes:

house and instead puts a note in my mailbox for me to pick it up. It seems that if a package does not fit in the mailbox, the USPS is under no obligation to actuall deliver the package to the door. I avoid the USPS and insist that things be shipped UPS. <<
I must do it all backwards. I've never had more than minor problems with any delivery service, including USPS, but I live in the country, so it's common practice for the mail deliverer to bring extra size packages down to the house. If we're not home, she'll put them in whatever vehicle is open, or leave them on the stoop.

...and thus, confirming my original statement about different people having completely different experiences<g>

Charlie,
I'm glad that you too, get good delivery service from the Post Office. But, I have to think that you must have carefully planned your of abode location. House location is a key factor to get packages delivered to your front door. It is intuititivly obvious to the most casual observer, (IOCO), that it is easier to carry a package "down to the house" as compared to "up to the house."
I'm a committed flatlander, living where elevation variations are measured in inches rather than feet and I also enjoy front door delivery. From the USPS, FedEx, occasionally UPS and rarely Airborne. Now if I can just figure out how to protect the packages from the liquid sunshine....
Jack Jacksonville, Florida
Jack notes:

Office. But, I have to think that you must have carefully planned your of abode
location. House location is a key factor to get packages delivered to your front door. It is intuititivly obvious to the most casual observer, (IOCO), that it is easier to carry a package "down to the house" as compared to "up to the house." <<
It's not too bad, but not a bit of my planning involved. Long, bumpy downhill drive, but a short, level walk to the front door from the bottom. My wife owned the house when we got married, and the State lifted the road about 15' some years before I met her. Among the added wonderful qualities, and the reason the driveway is bumpy, is that the drive is actually not ours, but a public right of way (so I refuse to repave it), and a drainage set up that funnels water from about 1/4" mile of road into our yard (and basement).
In the 21 years before the state/county raised the road, the basement NEVER once flooded. In the 21 years since, the basement floods on an average of 3 times a year, never really bady, but always unpleasant. Checked the cost to fix it and then made sure the pump was in good shape. Checked the chance of winning a law suit against the guvmint idjits, and decided I didn't love paying lawyers anywhere enough to carry it through.

Yes, but that's living in the country: Hold my baby while I count my money; everyone knows you by your first name; the librarian keeps renewing your subscription when you forget .....
Charlie Self wrote: [snip]

I don't get home mail delivery here in booneyville; we pick up at the post office. There are a few lock boxes for smallish packages. Large ones are saved and a card put into your PO box. The only problem is when you don't know how the company will ship (UPS, USPS, Fedex, etc). Putting the 9 digit zip (last 4 are the po box number) works. Without that, Mark the post office guy knows me and will make it right.
We have better luck with UPS than others. Their drivers will leave packages with the Cafe or Water Co office if the town roads are impassible. Fedex will lie if the weather is the least bit bad saying that the "business was closed" (residential address) or some such hogwash on the status page on the web site.
It all depends on the local branches of the companies involved.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Charlie Self wrote:

You probably keep a cup in your mailbox to put change in when you're out of stamps.
My grandfather once got a card delivered with the entire address being "Frank". It was sent by one of his siblings and delivered by the same carrier who picked it up.
Ah. the joys of rural living.
-- Jason Rziha

We once received a package that said: Steph and Tim Two doors up from the police station Brandon, VT
Gotta love it.
On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 04:58:43 -0700, Charlie Self wrote:

What's your address? Maybe it would be simpler for me to have stuff delivered to your house and then come pick it up from there.
Sounds like a MUCH safer neighborhood than where UPS wants me to go when the driver doesn't feel like delivering.
Bill
"Al Reid" wrote in message

and instead puts a note in my mailbox for me to pick it

under no obligation to actuall deliver the package to the

Normally I get good service from UPS, but there are always exceptions. They once swore they delivered a package to a non-existent house number on my street and that it was indeed officially signed for: by F. Rontdoor ... they were actually serious.
Still chuckling over that one.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Yea, My UPS packages are usually signed for by S. Porch <g>
--
Al Reid

You sure that was UPS? That's a FedEx trick.

Different drivers & carriers, different experiences. We get excellent service from USPS, UPS and FedEx. My wife buys a LOT of quilting supplies on line. I only get the most infrequent of packages from Lee Valley and Patrick Leach.
Most stuff is brought to the door. If no one is home, it sometimes is left with a neighbor if that's reasonable.
Patriarch

We've got one of those neighborhood cluster boxes (they've been broken into 3 times in the last 6 years, fortunately we've never lost any mail). They have special large boxes that the postperson leaves a key for if you have a package. Even worse than USPS not delivering packages is when they stuff a package in the cluster box that just barely fits from their side (the back). They fail to take into account the fact that the front doors that we access have a lip around the door frame. I've had packages that I've literally had to rip apart in order to get them out the front of the box -- grrr!.