McFeely's (Should I be upset?)

Last week I ordered about 10 things from McFeely's. The box arrived about four days later via UPS but had visible damage to the box itself (hole gouged in the side). I opened it up and took an inventory and noticed 4 items were missing. Proceeded to call customer service and tell them what was missing and requested they resend the missing items. They then told me they would send an UPS person to my house to "verify the damage" in 8-10 days. I feel that they are just calling me a big fat liar wanting to verify the damage and all. For someone that has gone through this before, is this a normal practice? Should I be complaining a little more? It's like 10 dollars in product...give me a break.

THANKS ALL!!!!

CW2 Ken Gunter

CH-47D Instructor Pilot & Professional Woodworker

snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMch47.org

helo-pilot

This is standard practice with UPS. It seems they regularly trash parcels and the inspectors are so far behind that it takes a while for them to get to you. UPS needs to verify that the package was damaged in shipping and the packaging was up to par. Once that is done you're expected to submit a claim to UPS and wait another 3 or 4 months to get your money. Some vendors will handle UPS damaged goods claims for you, others wash their hands of any responsibility once the shipment leaves their warehouse. If you're lucky McFeely's will handle this for you, once UPS confirms the damage.

I avoid these kinds of issues by avoiding UPS whenever possible. In any case, when I receive a trashed UPS delivery, before signing I ask the driver to attach a note such as "carton shows shipping damage". This helps to accelerate any damage claims. Sometimes it's obvious that the item inside is damaged, in which case I just refuse delivery due to damaged/missing contents.

Reply to
mp

McFeelys is doing you a favor. Your beef is with UPS, not the shipper. They could just tell you to call UPS and work it out yourself.

Are they calling you a liar? No, UPS wants to see the damage if they are paying a claim. They have that right. What makes you so special that they should trust you and not everyone else that makes a claim for damage or missing product? It will cost more to verify the claim that to pay it, but it is how they keep fraud to a minimum.

IMO, you are being a crybaby over something that happens on a regular basis with UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc. Shit Happens---deal with it. You are getting good customer service from McFeelys. Appreciate it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Had a problem w/ UPS caused damage. Was told 7 to 10 days also. A driver was there the next day.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Actually I believe if the packaging had been better it would have never happened in the first place...so part of my beef is with McFeely's.

That's funny, I receive on average about 5-10 boxes a week at my home, mostly for my SWMBO's business from all of the above shippers. In the past three years, let's see 5 boxes a week times 52 weeks times 36 months. Holy shit... that's over 9000 packages and this is my first problem with something "coming out of a box". Yeah...I do think it was the way it was packaged and McFeely's was the one who packed it.

CW2 Ken Gunter

CH-47D Instructor Pilot & Woodworker

Reply to
helo-pilot

I'm in the packaging business. No matter how well we design a package, someone, somewhere will damage the product. If McFeelys had a bad track record, UPS would refuse their products.

If your perception is as bad as your math, you may have other problems.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Uhhhhhh...Ooooops

Trying to prove a point and screwed up the simple stuff. :) Oh well I guess that would be 780...are you sure that 52 weeks and 36 months can't be multiplied???? Just joking.

Thanks Edwin for straightening me out.

CW2 Ken Gunter

CH-47D Instructor Pilot & Woodworker

Reply to
helo-pilot

I feel for you, but McFeeleys has a really good rep here, and as the supplier to several woodworking shops, a woodworking school, and a small wooden deck furniture factory in my local area.

FWIW, Lee Valley, who has a stellar track record both here and in my personal experience, had a package totally destroyed by FedEx Ground on it's way to me. To make matters worse, the package arrived with an aerosol can of 100% SILICONE in it, compliments of FedEx. Just what I want in the shop!

Hang in there, McFeeley's is a class act, they'll make you whole.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Measure thrice, ask somebody else and cut once, eh?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Yeah, right. The UPS guys around here leave the truck idling in the middle of the street, run the package up & drop it on your porch, (sometimes) ring the doorbell, and are gone before you can get your duff off the couch.

Reply to
JKevorkian

You must have a better UPS in your area than in mine. Where I live they drop it off on your front porch and run like hell.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

It's funny how different folks can have completely different experiences with a vendor or shipper. I buy most of my computer and WW parts/supplys online and receive several boxes per week. Other than one time where the UPS driver swiped the barcode and didn't deliver the package (Heavy storm and decided not to get out of the truck and walk 200 feet to the house and came back later) and the tracking info said it was delivered, but no package found, I have never had a delevery with any substantial damage or missing items.

My beef is with the USPS, who refuses to deliver any packages to the house and instead puts a note in my mailbox for me to pick it up. It seems that if a package does not fit in the mailbox, the USPS is under no obligation to actuall deliver the package to the door. I avoid the USPS and insist that things be shipped UPS.

Reply to
Al Reid

Al Reid notes:

house and instead puts a note in my mailbox for me to pick it up. It seems that if a package does not fit in the mailbox, the USPS is under no obligation to actuall deliver the package to the door. I avoid the USPS and insist that things be shipped UPS.

Reply to
Charlie Self

...and thus, confirming my original statement about different people having completely different experiences

Reply to
Al Reid

and instead puts a note in my mailbox for me to pick it

under no obligation to actuall deliver the package to the

Normally I get good service from UPS, but there are always exceptions. They once swore they delivered a package to a non-existent house number on my street and that it was indeed officially signed for: by F. Rontdoor ... they were actually serious.

Still chuckling over that one.

Reply to
Swingman

Yea, My UPS packages are usually signed for by S. Porch

Reply to
Al Reid

You sure that was UPS? That's a FedEx trick.

Doug Miller

Charlie,

I'm glad that you too, get good delivery service from the Post Office. But, I have to think that you must have carefully planned your of abode location. House location is a key factor to get packages delivered to your front door. It is intuititivly obvious to the most casual observer, (IOCO), that it is easier to carry a package "down to the house" as compared to "up to the house."

I'm a committed flatlander, living where elevation variations are measured in inches rather than feet and I also enjoy front door delivery. From the USPS, FedEx, occasionally UPS and rarely Airborne. Now if I can just figure out how to protect the packages from the liquid sunshine....

Jack Jacksonville, Florida

Reply to
John Flatley

Yes, but that's living in the country: Hold my baby while I count my money; everyone knows you by your first name; the librarian keeps renewing your subscription when you forget .....

Reply to
Guess who

I'm in the computer business and I have had UPS guys "roll" boxes into my office. I pointed out to them that it said in large letters, computer equipment and FRAGIL on all four sides. I have yet to have one say anything in explanation.

The next time... REFUSE to sign for it and do not accept the package.

McFeelys runs a pretty class act and I'm sure they will make it good.

helo-pilot wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber