McFeely's

Page 2 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@indy.rr.com says...

If the personal income tax and user fees for services were the only taxes, that might not be too bad. Dump the sales tax, dump the property tax, etc.
But once a tax code is established, it needs to be made very difficult to change it, because that's the big problem, they monkey with the tax code every year in ways that don't really change anything but make it impossible to plan ahead because you have no idea what your taxes are going to be.

I have a plan for a simple tax form that is on one page and takes one minute to fill out.. Once I get the lawyers and accountants behind me, Congress is sure to pass it.
On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 06:49:22 -0600, Ed Pawlowski wrote

Ummm like:
How much did you earn in 20xx?: _________ Send it in.
-Bruce
wrote

Nah, buy yourself a six-pack and send in the rest.
One a serious note, the tax form can be that simple. I don't know if 10% or 20% or whatever is needed, but it can be that easy. No deductions, no loopholes, no accountants and lawyers (like that would ever happen).
I think it is sad that people have to pay high prices to preparers for anything but the EZ form to be filled out. I do taxes for a half dozen people every year for free. They are good, hard working people that do not understand the forms and laws as they stand.

What do you do with businesses (CoGS, etc.)?

The common forms are pretty simple. I think it's more that the government has people so scared that they're afraid of doing something wrong. There is good reason for that feeling, though. VT has sent a collections company after me for $20K that I don't owe (didn't live in, or work in, the state - paid elsewhere).
On 7/3/2011 1:53 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Businesses don't pay taxes, people pay taxes...
--
Jack

That depends on your definition of "pay". But I certainly would support the elimination of all corporate income taxes. That wasn't at issue, however.
On 7/4/2011 3:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I know that wasn't the issue, the issue was McFeely's Screws. I was just responding to your particular question:-)
--
Jack

On 7/3/2011 1:21 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

And once passed, and for those being governed, a law is harder to remove than a mountain range ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/3/2011 12:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote: ...

I'd think that mostly either just don't try or are undereducated. There's really nothing terribly complicated about the basic 1040 and Schedules most folks need. If have more complex issues, maybe, but I figure the fella' does mine is earning his keep w/ the business end.
The no-deduction idea is a non-starter so there's not even any reason to go there on why it doesn't work...

Tens of thousands of high school grads don't have the proper brain cells to fill out a tax form. They may be remarkably talented in other areas, just not doing what you and I think of a simple form. Most schools don't teach tax forms either.

arbitrary bases) by junior high.

We use some unskilled labor at work. I see these people every day and 99% of them could not understand the simplest forms. They end up paying $75+ to some tax preparer, for the federal, almost that much for the state form that is more complex. Since they don't have the money to pay for it, they have the fees taken from the refund and pay even more for the privilege.
Add to that, the people speaking little or no English.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Are you kidding?
The SECRETARY OF THE TREASURY can't fill out a tax form! Even with the help of tax software and a computer!
No, best to pay no taxes at all and you won't have to confront the government form.

There is a difference between can't and won't.

I haven't figured out what happened, but Vermont wants almost $20K from me for a year I didn't live or work there. You may not have to confront the form, but unless you are the Secretary of the Tresury, you will have to confront the government.

"Vee haf our vays!" Professional sports athletes pay state income taxes to various states depending on how many days they are in the state. If, for example, the New Orleans Saints play the NY Jets, each Saints player has to pony up the NY income tax for the days he was in the state for the game.
It gets worse. Suppose you work for thirty years for a company in New York and retire to Florida. You change your state of residence, register to vote, everything. New York taxes your retirement check!
I'm surprised some states don't try to get money from you for just passing through their borders while you're on a (paid) vacation!
On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 20:51:16 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

That would be Tennessee basilisk

On 7/5/2011 9:51 PM, HeyBub wrote:

What ever happened to the notion of taxation w/o representation being a hangable/shootable/revolutional event?
--
Jack
Conservatives believe every day is the Fourth of July,
On 7/5/2011 9:51 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Connecticut is going to try. They want to put toll booths on the major highway exits. No tolls for the locals driving in-state, but $3 to $5 anticipated tolls for those leaving the state. Since I cross the border 5 to 8 times a week, I'll be using the secondary roads if the tolls ever do go in.