McFeely's

Page 1 of 3
I ordered some screws online yesterday just after lunch. They arrived this afternoon by UPS. How did they get from Wisconsin to south Georgia in one day? Shipping was $1.00. If you want a great screw, this is the place to go.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
On 6/30/11 6:47 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:

A great screw would have been if they got lost in transit and there was no refund.
--
Froz...

Gerald Ross wrote:

--------------------------------- I'll pass on the low hanging fruit, but don't forget McFeely's is now owned by Grainger who knows just a little bit about logistics.
Lew
On 6/30/2011 6:37 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

And yet their service was better prior to Grainger getting involved.

I get next day delivery from the Grainger's here.
Max
On 6/30/2011 4:47 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:

Oh, what a setup for a long line of ribald OT replies.
On 6/30/2011 5:47 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:

Must be a time warp ... Woke the Canuck up and ordered a crosscut bar for my Leigh D4 dovetail jig yesterday morning, 2nd day air.
Was out in the shop a few minutes ago and heard the unmistakable sound of a UPS truck.
Hmmmm. Yep, that's what it was ... and no extra charge on the bill.
Maybe the sky is fixing to fall?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Had to give up on them when they started collecting taxes in Texas.

Since Grainger has a presence in Texas, they are required to collect the taxes. I'd rather pay the tax than get a lesser quality product.
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

They also collected GA state taxes, but with only $1 shipping, it was cheaper than a trip to Lowe's, or ordering from Lee Valley and paying their shipping charge.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
On 7/1/2011 12:32 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

????????......
--
Digger
Bob O'Dell

Service Supply in Indianapolis used to bill itself as "The House of a Million Screws." Drove past the place recently and noticed a new name of the building and no slogan, but damned if I could tell you what it was....
Of course the days of the Rigid Tool calendars are past, too.
Yet there lurks the 12-year-old in many of us. And he's still snickering!
------------------------------------- If 6.25% (Unless you are in Andrews County) breaks your piggy bank, you probably need to find a new hobby.
Lew

8.25% in Dallas I ordered 2000 2" in 8 &10s and shipping and tax was 7.36, BFD I couldn't drive to pick 'em up that cheap
On 7/2/2011 12:38 AM, ChairMan wrote:
>> If 6.25% (Unless you are in Andrews County) breaks your piggy bank, >> you probably need to find a new hobby.
> 8.25% in Dallas > I ordered 2000 2" in 8&10s and shipping and tax was 7.36, BFD > I couldn't drive to pick 'em up that cheap
I think you guys are missing the point.
I guarantee you it's going to add to cost of goods to be forced to COLLECT taxes for all 50 states along with the thousands of jurisdictions that add their own sales tax to the statutory state sales tax, and that must also be collected as part of the sales tax.
You know who pays any tax, right? Not the corporation, YOU! So to act like the $7.36 is no BFD is shortsighted thinking.
Again, the cost of being a tax collector is going to be added to the cost of doing business, which YOU will again be paying.
IMO, it's a bad idea that is unconstitutional to start with.
Then again, the constitution is basically in shreds as it is thanks to the warped thinking of lawyer politicians.
Unfortunately there is little no doubt that it will eventually come to pass ... BOHICA.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I see your point and agree, but . . . . .
Buying a lesser product from a source with no tax rather than paying the tax for a better product proves nothing. All you do is end up with a crappy screw. Refusing to order from a tax collecting seller amongst tens of thousands of orders being shipped does not send much of a message to politicians.
Yes, we should protest the tax on internet sales for the reasons you state, but the right way is to contact those involved directly.
I also thing it is best to support local business too, but that is not always practical or best for me. Sometimes it is cheaper to spend $6.95 for shipping than to drive 30 miles for an item. The world is changing and it may be too late to save the local buggy whip maker. The few left would probably do better to get a web site and increase market exposure.
On 7/2/2011 11:22 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I like the way Amazon is doing it to California. They are dropping all California affiliates so they don't have to collect taxes for the bed wetters (w/o representation I might add) I generally like Amazon but now I'm loving them. Couldn't happen to a better state, and with any luck, this move should cost them big time.

The best way to support business is supply and demand. Whomever fills your needs best gets your money. Stupidly supporting or not supporting for political/social reasons is generally not the best way to go in the long run. Not buying McFeely's screws simply because they are made in China would be stupid, if they make the best screw at the best price. I've bought McFeely's screws, and I don't think they are anything special in quality or price, but at least you know they are not crap.
For example, I would not pay 100 bucks more for a tool shipped from California than the same tool shipped from Kansas just because I like paying taxes to a state that sucks the big one...
--
Jack

A Weber Summit grill locally comes to $2008. On line, it came to $1473 sitting on my deck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6b70TUbdfs

caveat: The people who made this little cartoon/video did so with the intent to sell a book. Personally. I couldn't give a rat's ass about that book, it is not the reason why I posted the link. But I do 'get' the message.

I'm not a constitutional lawyer, but I think the biggest strike against sales taxes is that they are regressive. If the majority of your income is spent on the necessities of life (and we'll include quality square-drive screws here, so that we remain on topic), the sales tax you pay has a terrific impact on your finances as a percentage of your expenditures.
If you're spending a miniscule portion of your earnings on the same neccessities, while banking your the vast bulk of your income in some sheltered Bahamian account, you could give a twit about the sales tax.
Without resorting to the S-word, let's throw out a bible passage: "Of those to whom much is given, much shall be required." Let's dump the sales taxes (there are five states that don't have 'em...), and move our taxation model to income taxes, with far fewer exemptions. If you're a fat cat, you don't need to be subsidized.