McFeely's

Page 4 of 5
John Martin wrote:

The store in our area requires you to have an account with them. Setting up an account requires a tax number.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

And a tax number can be simply your SSN -- lots of guys in business for themselves as sole proprietorships, reporting the income on their personal tax returns using SSN as the ID#.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Here's an excerpt from the New York State Sales Tax web site:
"If you intentionally issue a fraudulent exemption certificate, you will become liable for penalties and interest, in addition to the sales tax initially due. Some penalties that may apply:
100% of the tax due
$50 for each fraudulent exemption certificate issued
A misdemeanor penalty consisting of fines not to exceed $10,000 for an individual or $20,000 for a corporation"
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Ignoring, of course, that a tax exemption certificate is something totally different from a business 'tax id' number. <grin>
*EVERY* business has a 'tax id' number. _ONLY_ businesses that sell goods at retail-- and collect sales taxes thereon -- are exempt from paying sales tax on the goods that resold as part of the finished product. In some areas, bona-fide non-profits may also be exempt from paying taxes on material purchased for internal use. An "exemption certifiate" is what one of those purchasers gives to their supplier to establish that said supplier need not collect sales tax on designated purchases.
Your cite is 100% correct. Doug's statements are ALSO 100% correct.
They're just talking about _different_ things. :)
Doug Miller wrote:

Wholesalers typically want a sales /use tax number, the kind you get from your state, not a federal ID, unless credit is requested. Income reporting by the buyer doesn't have much to do with a wholesale transaction.
My local Grainger only insists on a tax ID if they aren't going to add sales tax to the purchase. No tax number? They collect the proper sales tax, and will sell to most anyone, but at a higher retail price requiring instant payment. My local plumbing and electric suppliers do the same, there's a true wholesale "trade" price, and there's a retail price. Some wholesalers are not set up to collect sales tax at all, so they can't sell anything without a sales / use tax number to pass the tax collection responsibility along to.
Most federal tax ID numbers "06-xxx..., or an SSN" are used in the wholesale business to extend credit, which also may include a Dunn & Bradstreet rating check. The licensed trades may also have to provide their trade license number to buy certain items.

Our local Grainger outlet is a "Business to Business" establishment. As a result my workshop is known to them as "Veatch & Son's Woodworking", a proprietorship. Not really too sure of the ethics of the situation, but I've not lost any sleep over it.
No mandatory minimum charges. In that respect, I see no difference between them and any retail shop except that the customer doesn't have the freedom to rummage through the stock - attended counters with catalogs handy, identify what you want to the attendant, he/she goes into the store room and gets the item, you pay for it and leave.
Mail order? Depends on what you mean. They have a web site (www.grainger.com) on which you can place orders for local pickup (Will Call service - place the order online, go to the "Will Call" counter in the store and the order is packaged and waiting for you). Or you can place the online order for delivery - there is a shipping charge for that which is avoided using the "Will Call" service.
Note that I am speaking of a specific Grainger store and, except for the web interface, no guarantees are offered as to the applicability of this to any other Grainger store.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Jim is doing well. He's hale and hearty and just off a fishing trip.
As for why he sold the business, I wouldn't dare to presume the answer to that. I can only speculate that he felt very comfortable with the transition provided by LSS. This isn't your stereotypical 'small company sells out to big business' acquisition at all. We're making great efforts to improve what we do, not cut back in any area. In addition, the folks at LSS were involved with making the transition as easy as possible. I don't mind telling you that anyone who expressed an interest in moving had a good opportunity to explore that. It has been a great move for me so far. That makes it easier for someone like Jim to sell his business. Trust me, if the folks at LSS hadn't been as actively involved with working with the employees as they were, I doubt Jim would've felt comfortable. McFeely's has been and still is a family-minded enterprise.
Hopefully, I'll speak with Jim soon. As I'm no longer in VA, we don't run into each other and he took a pretty long vacation right after the move. I know from a few friends that he is back at work, however and cleaning up the old VA warehouse. We need to catch up and compare notes but if I know Jim, he's still putting in 10-hour days. That's just his ethic.
Ron
snipped-for-privacy@mcfeelys.com wrote:

Thanks for posting to the group. My big question remains: will we be able to pick up those great McFeely screws at Grainger's now? We've got a great one not far from here and I greatly prefer wandering around in there to doing mail order.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
On Sep 17, 2:08 pm, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

Hey Mortimer,
At this time, I know of no plans to sell McFeely's packaged screws in Grainger. I've heard the comment from more than one person of how convenient that could be but we've not had any discussions along those lines.

Hi Ron, Will you now have a web site that will accept overseas destinations with easy payment options and delivery addresses as opposed to the hoops and things that were required before? Thanks.
******
eat the samoosa to reply

Hey Phil,
I apologize for the hoops and trauma involved in placing international orders with McFeely's. Here are the problems I see with international commerce. It's difficult for us to use an automated system to quote international deliveries because the shippers have options which can become fairly complicated pretty quickly. If we sold a standardized product (like books or CDs), it would be easier for us to publish a simple set of S&H rates but with product lines as diverse as ours in terms of weight and packaging requirements, not to mention restrictions on exports for some, it really is a matter better suited for a custom quote. I wish that weren't the case but we'd be doing ourselves a real disservice if we even tried to publish a simplifed S&H schedule for international shipments. What would happen is we'd be wildly divergent from that schedule in terms of what we were actually billed and that would result in our either charging our customers too much or eating too much of the S&H. The former isn't how we want to run our business and the latter would eventually result in price increases, neither of which is a good long-term situation.
But, I am hopeful that the future may bring some changes.
Ron

Hi Ron, Thanks for the reply. I regularly buy from 'Woodcraft' , 'Rockler' and 'Lee Valley' with no problem. Their sites recognize an overseas address and then send an automated shipping quotation which must be accepted before the goods are sent. Hope you can get this sorted as I would like to get some goods from you. Thanks.
******
eat the samoosa to reply

Hey Phil,
Our challenge with this is how heavy some of our items are. For the most part, nothing Woodcraft, Rockler or Lee Valley sells comes close to the stereotypical 40 lb box of screws for which we're famous.
But yes, we'll get it sorted out soon. I appreciate your feedback.
Ronald wrote:

Dunno about that. They all ship some pretty hefty stuff, Emmert-clone patternmakers' vises and Sjoberg workbenches for example.

--John

Thanks,will keep an eye on the website. Cheers
******
eat the samoosa to reply

Bill Waller wrote:

Really hope this doesn't foretell a decline in quality and/or service. Can only wait and see.

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

service.
Have been a Grainger customer for many years.
They didn't get where they are by screwing up a business they have bought and folded into their business model.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Glad to hear that. I haven't had many direct dealings with Grainger, but I do know they have a good rep.

I would expect the opposite, actually. Grainger's a class act. Not to imply that McFeely's wasn't, of course. But Grainger is a very professional operation. IME their customer service and product quality are uniformly excellent.
--
Regards,
On Sep 14, 8:12 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I have heard good things about Grainger too. I should have kept my negativity to myself, especially in light of the fact I didn't even read the press release. Believe it or not, sometimes I'm just talking out my ass.
Long live McFeely's!!
JP