McFeely's

Page 2 of 5
Doug Miller wrote:

Corner of 15th and Main...

Hey folks,
I'm Ron Pegram. I've been with McFeely's since 1997. During that time, I worked closely with Jim Ray, beginning as the Customer Service Manager and being promoted to the position of General Manager over time. When LSS acquired McFeely's, I expressed a desire to continue on with the company. Quite frankly, I have a lot of emotional investment in the brand, having spent so much of my life trying to grow it. To my delight, the folks at LSS were just as interested in continuing to do the things that have made McFeely's successful as I am and I am now the Brand Manager for McFeely's in our new offices in Madison, WI.
Within the LSS family of brands, there's a real attempt to keep brands separate so that each unit can do the things its customers demand. So, yes we have been acquired by a much larger company but no, we're not being forced to walk away from value-added services like consumer- friendly packaged quantities of screws. If anything, the additional resources we have should let us pursue services that make us more convenient for our customers. Trust me, LSS values what makes these brands work.
I've posted this here because I want you all to have a name and a person with whom to identify when you're discussing McFeely's. If something we do isn't to your liking, please let me know. I can be reached at any one of the following contacts:
snipped-for-privacy@mcfeelys.com 1-800-443-7937 (ask for extension 3317) 1-608-662-3317 (toll number)
Generally, I work between 8AM - 6PM CST. My job in the years to come is to guarantee that McFeely's doesn't change unless it's for the better. I expect you to hold my feet to the fire on that.
Respectfully yours,
Ron Pegram, MBA (yes, I'm one of those dreaded MBA's but I am also one of the good guys)
snipped-for-privacy@mcfeelys.com wrote:

Ron - thanks very much for the response, and *especially* for providing your contact info. You'll probably hear from a lot of people here.
--
Regards,

Thank you for the above clarification.
Jim Ray has been considered to be one of the "good guys" for many of us.
Can you give us some idea why he sold the business?
How is he doing these days?
Everyone seems to be singing the praises of Grainger, and I'm a bit curious as to people's dealings with them.
Lots of places have "Trade Only" or "Commercial Accounts Only" on the door. Most, however, are willing to sell to anyone, as long as the customer has a reasonable idea of what he wants. I've found the local Grainger - Portland, Maine - a bit on the rigid side on that policy.
Do you find most of the Grainger stores sell to walk-ins? No mandatory minimum charges? How about by mail?
John Martin
John Martin wrote:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/static.jsp?page=help_termsofpurcat.html
No business ID, no sale. None of the branches I have seen (and I think that holds for web/mail order sales as well) are set up to collect sales tax -- ergo, no business id to show exemption, no sale.
I strongly suspect that will not be anything they would do to McFeely's as it would essentially remove the need for having purchased it to begin with...
It is, in fact, the retail sales aspect of it that I would presume attracted their interest.

"Business identification" can be as simple as a business card that you made on your home PC, and a cell phone number.

That apparently varies from one state to the next: the Grainger store here in Indianapolis is certainly set up to collect sales tax.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

It's been a few years since was where there was a branch so could have changed, or it could be an overall policy change.
The info at the web site still indicates business tax ID which typically indicates the necessary info for them to justify not collecting same...

dpb wrote:

Would suspect that is only for tax-exempt sales. Numerous businesses buy materials in support of their own businesses (think physical plant). In most states, sales for those purposes is subject to sales tax. Only items being incorporated into an end product would be exempt from sales tax since that tax is collected on the end item when it is sold to the consumer. Large companies have their own internal users like facilities and other engineering shops that use commercial goods and pay sales tax on those goods.

*NOT* True. The only stuff that sales tax is not collected on is stuff that is purchased "for resale". Material sold to a business, for that business's own use -is- taxable, and the seller must collect tax on it.
You have to prove a "sales tax permit/id" to escape paying sales tax on 'for resale' items. This is a very different thing from a business 'tax id' number.
Robert Bonomi wrote:

As a retail business operator in New York State I have to track sales tax "exempt" purchases for in-house use and pay the appropriate tax due. This applies to out of state/internet purchases, purchases made on an Indian reservation. etc. as well. Sales tax is considered an end user tax and the end user is ultimately responsible for paying the tax if it was not collected by the seller.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Technically, on things like out-of-state purchases, one _doesn't_ pay "sales tax", but 'use tax', which, by a strange turn of affairs, is exactly the same rate as the sales tax. They are separate and distinct items in statute and state tax regs.
On in-state purchases for "in-house use", one _should_ be paying the sales tax at the time of purchase. NYS may allow 'no tax' purchase, and belated tax submission by the purchaser, to 'make good' on in-house consumption -- Several jurisdictions that I am aware of do _not_; and one gets in significant hot water if something purchased 'exempt, for resale' is used in-house.
Robert Bonomi wrote: ...

Depends on _which_ tax id one is referring to...

As far as I'm concerned, it's a moot point. I opened an account at Grainger with a business card. The only other information they asked for was how I planned to pay for purchases (i.e. if I wanted to open a credit account). Told them, Nope, I'll pay as I go, with cash or check. Took less than five minutes.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Undoubtedly...just pedantic mode on... :)
OP should try and see what it takes in his situation.
As noted elsewhere, there's not one local here, so the cost-effective and convenient way for me is to let the guys at the machine shop add order and pick it up next day or the day after at worst and since got to go to town to get the mail anyway, no additional effort to stop by on the way to/from...in TN, there was one not too far away, but at that time, at least, they were open-account only and it took a fair-sized account to get through the approval process. But that's getting to be quite some time ago now although it's easy to forget how long that has actually been... :)

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:38:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

It's been 5 years now, but I opened my account through their website. I know for a fact that I didn't do it in person at the store. Simple, easy, no questions, no hassle. A company name required, but no tax number necessary - neither a taxpayer ID nor a sales tax exemption certificate (whichever one is meant by the term "tax number"). I don't recall if the online application had a field for such a number, but if there was one, it wasn't a _required_ field.
I recently noticed that fasteners had been added to their catalog. Last night, out of curiosity, I made a search for square drive/Robertson screws in their online catalog and didn't find any obvious references, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the McFeely product line - including the square drive items - show up in their catalog at some point.
I pay by credit card so if/when I need something it's just place a "Will Call" order online, give them the credit card number, stop by the store the next time I go by there, sign for it, and I'm on my way. Quick, easy, maybe not the least expensive source, but my experience has been that the quality is generally better. And it's no question that it's a lot more convenient than trying to deal with the BORG drones or sort through bins trying to find something that actually matches the label on the bin.
I know some folks are leery about CC transactions online, but I've never had a minute's trouble. One of my requirements for an account (credit, demand deposit, etc.) with any financial institution is that they provide online/download access to the account. A scheduled task runs on my computer every morning that downloads all transactions from all my open accounts. That gives me notification within 24 hours of any transactions posted to that account. Have yet to see a single unauthorized transaction from Grainger, or any other source for that matter.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 14:19:09 -0500, Tom Veatch wrote:
-snip-

What's the task? I think it's a great idea and would be interested in getting a copy myself, so any info to that end that you'd be willing to share would be appreciated.
Thanx Renata

Well, it's nothing that I wrote, though I suspect a script/macro could be written to do the job. I use Quicken for all my financial records. One of the built in features is a "One Step Update" which can be configured to go online and update not only the program itself, but also any accounts which have been enabled for online access. That update operation can be set to run at scheduled times.
I have a couple of complaints with the program. First, if the update fails for any reason, it leaves a copy of Quicken running without a user interface. The only way I've found to shut the "background" task down and allow a "foreground" copy with a GUI to run, other than to restart the computer, is to kill the process using Task Manager. The other complaint is that the scheduled task doesn't run as a service which means the user has to be logged on to the machine in order for the task to run. Neither one is a 'deal killer' for me, but I do find it a little aggravating.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Doug Miller wrote:

From Grainger's web site:
"SALES POLICY
Wholesale Only.
Grainger sells products for business use to customers with business identification. Identification required from all customers. Possession of, or access to, any Grainger catalog, literature or websites does not constitute the right to purchase from W.W. Grainger, Inc. (Grainger). Grainger reserves the right to correct publishing errors. All references herein to the term products shall include services provided by Grainger."
and also
"Sales Tax.
Customers are responsible for all applicable taxes or for providing a valid sales tax exemption certificate."
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Guess what people......
They (Granger) wants to play wiff you IF you are willing to be what they want you to be. You have NO mind of your own. You HAVE to conform. They see Bush running with that business model, so YOU better behave! YOU shalt have NO master other than ISRAEL!