McCloskey's stain vs Minwax - opinions please

Now that I know a nearby store carries McCloskey's stain, I'd like to know if it's way better than Minwax. I don't like Minwax much. I want something faster drying. I like Bonakemi's stain, but the store is distant and they have few colors. I'm interested in the oil based stains. TIA

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Dave, I have never heard of McCloskey's stain or any of their products, but odds are that it will be superior to any Minwax products.

Reply to
Leon

I prefer Zar's or Bartley's. I use a lot of Zar's Provincial 114 on Oak.

Reply to
Swingman

you've got a point there, Leon. What brand do you use when you need an oil based stain?

dave

Le> Dave, I have never heard of McCloskey's stain or any of their products, but

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

General Finishes, Zar, or Bartleys.

Reply to
Leon

Okay, I'm learning something here. I've used Minwax for years. I don't have anything to compare it to - it's what the borg carries - I've never shopped anywhere else for stain. Someone please explain why these other brands are superior. I might need to find a better supplier...

Thanks.

Bob

Reply to
bob

Most apply with a rag more consistently even and easier.

Reply to
Leon

when time is a factor, you do NOT want to use Minwax. applying a seal coat must be delayed (drying time varies with temp, application, blah, blah blah) compared to some of the superior stains that have been mentioned on this thread. I personally haven't used any of the better ones except for Bonakemi Dri Fast which is top notch. Dries fast, just like the name, goes on evenly, and doesn't have the annoying, nose irritating (to me, anyway) smell that Minwax has. I don't know if the brands the other fellas use are fast drying like Bonakemi. We'll let them chime in on that score.

dave

bob wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Besides dry time you need to consider bleeding, lapping, and ability to make repairs on the fly.

M Hamlin

Reply to
MSH

Mark,

have you used McCloskeys?

MSH wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I have never used McCloskey's. I have used truckloads of Minwax and have a love hate relationship. I run a finishing shop for a large unfinished furniture retailer. Unfinished furniture varies greatly in quaility in wood selection and contruction. Minwax is great on oak and properly dried pine. On aspen, cherry, and maple mixwax tends to be blotchy and uneven. Recently I was turned onto Zar wood stain. It is made by UGL out of Scranton PA. It is quite a bit thicker than Minwax but not as thick as gell stains. Their catch phrase is "controlled penitration," and I have found this to be true even on Aspen. Now for the good news, It is much faster drying than Minwax, I have used shellac over Zar with as little as 6 hours dry time. Now the better news, I have it on good authority from my UGL rep. that the entire line of Zar stains and top coats will soon dry in 2 hours. The label will not change right away to allow for the old inventory to sell. He told me to look for a QD (quick dry) on the lid. Check out UGL.com to find a retailer. They do not sell their wood finish line in home centers, as they like to support small business. I hope you try and like this product as much as I do. Brian.

Reply to
BRFordJr

Thanks Brian. I will look to see who carries it. The name is vaguely familiar. I just picked up some Dri Fast Bonakemi stain at a local wholesaler and this time they got a little pissy about selling retail, so I need a fall back plan for finding good stains. 'preciate your info.

dave

BRFordJr wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave