Maybe OT - cutting granite

Got a nice piece of granite (1 3/4") to use as my bas for sandpaper sharpening system, but I need to square it up.
How do I cut granite? Is it time to find a counter top guy who has a diamond blade or what?
Thanks for the suggestions....
markndawoods

disk. Difficult to be accurate, the finish will be rough and I would never attempt to smooth or polish even a small piece of edge with ordinary abrasives.
Tim w
snipped-for-privacy@molalla.net says...

You already have a flat surface and now you mean to cut the edges square, no?
says...

That is correct. It is a piece of counter top that broke in transit. If I can square it up it would be cool.

You need a diamond wet saw to cut your granite. Most tile installers and many stores have one for cutting tiles, including granite tiles. A local installer or store may be willing to cut your granite for a fee.

That is kind of what I figured, just hoping for a solution I could do in my shop.
Thanks for the reply
Markndawoods wrote:

You might want to take a look at http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/extras/76cuttingstone.php which has a couple of nice videos that show how to cut stone with a hammer and chisel and with a diamond saw.
On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 08:37:37 -0700, "Markndawoods"

Wet saws aren't all that expensive and are useful things to have around. I bought one a few years back for tile and have used it quite a bit. HarborFreight has a fairly nice one for what I paid for mine ($250ish).
A case of beer might get an installer to cut it for you. He might even share. ;-)
RE: Subject
This appears to be a one shot deal.
Think BARTER.
A case of Little Greenies can accomplish a lot.
Lew
On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 01:31:51 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

Some years back it got me a new ("mud job") tub surround by one of the best tile guys in the area. ;-)
Markndawoods wrote:

You can get inexpensive diamond blades for angle grinders. Maybe rig up some sort of carriage to hold the grinder and ride along a straightedge? Should be good enough for shop use.
Chris
Chris Friesen wrote:

I'd be inclined to visit a local headstone shop, but if the angle grinder idea has appeal, then something like the fifth and sixth photos from the top at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/JBot /
might work as a holder to run along a straight edge.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

A friend of mine cuts granite using a hand-held circular saw with a special blade, runs water over the cut to keep things cool, and has a GFI on the power source for the saw. I'd want pneumatics for this, but he makes nice cuts, and is still among us. Kerry

i cut lots of granite slab using an angle grinder with a 4" dry diamond blade, if it's too large to fit on the table of my tile saw. don't breath the dust, btw. if you want a polished edge, you need a water-feed grinder/polisher. i use this one:
http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Alpha-VSP-120-Wet-Variable-Speed-Wet-Polisher
depending upon the size, just find a tile guy. home depot will cut it for you for not very much/cut.
regards, charlie http://glassartists.org/ChaniArts
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 10:31:34 -0600, Chris Friesen

Ir a diamond blade in an old circular saw. Use a hose to wet down the granite. Not too wet though (electricity and water don't mix well).

I'm a bit late to the party. Use a diamond masonry blade in your circular saw. A low-cost one will do fine. Clamp on a fence, and take 1/4" passes. Dry. And reasonably quickly. Outside with goggles and dust mask, stay up-wind, because it gets some dusty. I do this all the time.
Those guys use water jets with grit.
Might talk to a grave stone company in town - they might be helpful experts.
Martin