Maybe it's a Canadian thing...

Saturday evening I posted a rant about a struggle I was having with the Akeda dovetail jig, trying to cut box joints according to the instruction manual. The special straight cutter wouldn't clear the guide bushing for 1/2" stock settings.
This afternoon, I stopped by my local Rockler, and tried to buy a proper guide bushing. We went through every Porter Cable and Rockler option that made any kind of sense, and couldn't find one to work. We even considered drilling out one of their brass guides...
So I called Akeda's tech support line. And got Kevan, who is evidently tech support, product engineering, and CEO, all wrapped up in one. After explaining that I had purchased this jig 18 months ago, and what I was trying to do, he told me he knew about the problem, that it was an oversight on their part, and could he send, at no charge, the proper guide bushing to solve the problem? He couldn't guarantee that it would leave today, but certainly by tomorrow morning...
So maybe it's a Canadian thing. This is the sort of service one hears about from Lee Valley. It's nice to find that it exists elsewhere as well.
Problem most likely solved. Blood pressure returning to normal.
And the guys at Rockler, who didn't even sell the jig, were great, too. (They would have liked to, but Woodcraft had an exclusive at the time.)
Patriarch

It's a nice place ain't it? Was up in Toronto in the early 80's. Streets so clean, you'd *gladly* eat off them. Was in Ontario in the early 90's. Lovely, lovely city and people. Was in Calgary in the mid 90's - had a blast! Was in Vancouver, Victoria in the late 90's - beautiful town. Gott'a hit Nova Scotia next...
If you had gone to NS last fall you would have be blown away. Halifax got nailed by a cat 2 storm.
James www.cryscom.nb.ca
patrick conroy wrote:

I went to Tatamagouch, NS a few years ago. Got there late, couldn't find the people we were to stay with. Knocked on someone's door to see if they knew where our friends lived and got invited to stay the night if we couldn't find them.
Park service in Banff, Alberta mailed a hat back to us in New York after they found our name in it and cross-referenced it to the sign-in book.
Canada. Humph. Enough to give one an inferiority complex.

ranted:

So Rob Lee's joint isn't the only place in Greater Canuckistan who knows customer service? Tres bien, seor.
Those simple, friendly things are much better (and several thousand dollars cheaper) at advertising great vacation spots than full-page ads in the L.A. or N.Y. Times.
--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

And if you'd visited NS before Toronto, you'd have a hard time finding something nice to say about T.O. A lot of folks visit Toronto and think they've been to Canada. Actually, the Maritime provinces are a much better place to visit if you want to meet great people. The real Canada is in its small towns and poorer provinces.
Mike

25 million people (last time I heard a count) on that large of a land mass - yeah, I'd bet the interesting bits are in the "middle" too. Still - everytime I've been there - it's been an enjoyable experience.
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:15:21 +0000, patrick conroy wrote:

Same here except for my last trip to 'couver - rental car was vandalized in a parking garage and a 80-200 Minolta lens was burgled. Fortunately, I had the camera and other lens with me.
-Doug
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.

Let me guess.....not locked in the trunk.....Vancouver has the highest crime rate for any Canadian city I'm led to believe.
On behalf of the good ones here in Canada I humbly apologize eh!
--
Jon Down

Need jigsaw blades?

Hi, I'm Dave in Toronto, Canada. I've got a 80-200 Minolta lens here that I found and I'm selling it for a good price. :)
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 20:31:31 +0000, Upscale wrote:

Was that you running down the parking garage ramp on your way to catch a plane?
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.
wrote in message

Well....that took a while to find its way 3/4 of the way across Canada, probably cos no fence would touch it!LOL.
--
Jon Down
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:42:44 -0400, PWɮTLMAN 4 wrote:

It was in the trunk! The perp(s) bashed out the driver side rear window and ripped the back seat out to get it.

No need - Mum is a Canuckistani and already apologised :-)
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.

Wow those Canadian hoodlums go all out to provide thorough service for their customers.
--
Jon Down

Actually per capita I think it's Regina.
djb

Probably right & probably from sheer boredom.....been there, been bored. LOL
--
Jon Down
Regina is a horrible city to explain to your kids after they've had their first sex education class...

http://www.robswoodworking.com