Maybe it escapes only me

Page 5 of 5
Thank you to one and all for confirming what I thought was pretty obvious.
SteveP.

Highland Pairos wrote:

Try asking in rec.knives.
You can't just use any old leather, but yes you can make your own.
wrote: [snip]

Well, yes. The leather comes from a rare cow that "lumbers" around "board" all the time and eats only "grain" and certain "blade" grasses. IIRC, they are native to outer Mongolia. Their fur is "curly<' some say "highly figured." The skin underneath is said to feel things "sharply." The live in the mountains and often go to the "edge." These animals have "honed" their existence to surviving on meager grasses in the harsh Mongolian climate, otherwise their "heart would" give out. They've also "chiseled" out sustenance from the barren Mongolian "planes."
The wood is also special. It comes from trees that cows use to rub against, often wearing the bark off and ultimately killing the tree. However, theres trees have a certain affinity for leather, which is why the cattle use them to scratch with in the first place. IIRC, the wood is called moo wood or sometimes "bull" wood.
Please excuse the sharp wit or dull humor (your call).
Highland Pairos wrote:

I used a strop for all my wood carving chisels (and for my blades for cutting mats). I lost all my tools (divorce), but am building up again and just bought some carving chisels, making a strop has been on my list of things to make, I wouldn't want to start carving without having a strop nearby.

My strop is a piece of wood with rawhide leather glued on.
John L. Poole wrote:

Hmmm... looks like the barbers have varying strops. http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522944/196078.htm
The above URL has three kinds of paste to be used on separate leather strops: 6 micron - "used on a very dull edge", 2-4 micron - "will refresh a mildly dull edge", and leather conditioner for everyday use.
Possibly overkill for carving edges into wood, yes?

No, not for carving. Clean smooth edges are what carving is about. Everyone works through to their own compromise. Mine is Chromium Oxide (green compound) and a felt buff right now. Were I carving softer woods the strop would return. It's still in the drawer.