Maybe it escapes only me: strop on wood block cost

Thank you to one and all for confirming what I thought was pretty obvious.

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos

I can always use a hand.

Robatoy

I'm there for you bro.

Why don't you help me beat up on Foxed News people...

they really are hateful, you know.

do they allow Foxed News in Kanuckistan?

I thought that Mulroney was gone.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

I've been going to the same guy for 20+ years and he still uses a straight razor. It is, however, going out of style with the younger barbers. Alas.

D. G. Adams

Reply to
D. G. Adams

The one I use now is a piece of old belt glued to a board. I have, over the past 40 years, used the back of the belt that I was wearing (most common), the top of a boot, a piece of cardboard, and a piece of MDF. If you sharpen on a stone and are using the strop for final polish, forget the compound. The leather works fine without it (ask any barber). If you use the strop to maintain an edge (carving knives), the compound is helpful.

-----+

-----+

Reply to
CW

Toothpaste is just an abrasive paste with flouride, artificial sweeteners, and other crud thrown in. I'm not sure what the grit is. I've used some toothpastes before that were sort of gritty. I could feel... something... crushing when I meshed my teeth together, almost like I had sand in my mouth. And if I remember my history channel correctly, the ancients would actually use sand to clean their teeth.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Yeah, sunburn and I find I also get cold a lot faster unless I'm wearing a hat.

Mark & Juanita

Have used toothpaste and a soft cotton cloth to polish scratches out of a pedestal mounted compass on my last boat.

After all, it is on the same order as jeweler's rouge.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

... snip

Since you seem to have such a balance from the left side of things, the following might give some pause for thought:

Mark & Juanita

Probably simple baking soda -- that's what's used in at least one of the "gritty" brands.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

We'll guys, my barber shop still uses straight razors for the final neck and sideburn trim. And I did see a guy a year or so back get a shave while I got my hair cut. These guys have been in the same shop in a strip mall since it opened in 1960. Great part of history that's still going strong in Aurora, IL.

Dan

Reply to
dan cordes

$10 here. With tip. I gave him $10 when the base cost was $7. Then when it was $8 and now that it is $9 ... $10.

By the time the base price locally gets to $11, I doubt if I'll need his services anymore ... and unlikely he'll be able to deliver them anyways. ;-)

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Nauga.

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

As one whom has no single news channel what exactly does fox do routinely or "ever" that you find so distastful? Hateful? Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

Yeah, I found out the hard way about a sunburn on the top of the head. A day after being out in the sun for an hour and my scalp started to hurt. A quick peek in the mirror confirmed sunburn, but that wasn't the hardest part of the ordeal. After the sunburn came the flaking and what looked like the worst case of deathly dandruff one could imagine.

Winter and summer now, I'm always wearing a baseball cap. Only downside to that is that the wind catches it once in a while and I'm tearing down the street chasing it.

Reply to
Upscale

Example, please.

Reply to
Swingman

I grew up near Naugatuck, often witnessing the great Uniroyal Nauga hunts...

Reply to
B A R R Y

I'm 64 and have a full head of brown hair. I chose my parents carefully.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

I tried a different route, unsuccessfully. I was adopted and although my adoptive father was bald, he managed somehow to pass it onto me. I can still remember him laughing when I was away from home for almost a year and came back with 50% less hair.

Reply to
Upscale

Try asking in rec.knives.

You can't just use any old leather, but yes you can make your own.

Reply to
Andy Dingley