Maybe it escapes only me

Page 2 of 5

wrote in message

God made only so many perfect heads --- the rest he covered with hair!
Vic Baron wrote:

I heard this another way. God only made a few perfect people. The rest he made right handed. -G
Upscale wrote:

$10 here. With tip. I gave him $10 when the base cost was $7. Then when it was $8 and now that it is $9 ... $10.
By the time the base price locally gets to $11, I doubt if I'll need his services anymore ... and unlikely he'll be able to deliver them anyways. ;-)
Bill
Virus Database (VPS): 0662-2, 12/26/2006
Upscale wrote:

Shampoo? What the hell's that? I use bar soap and can dry it with a face cloth.
As for trimming my own hair, it's just like cutting the grass.... every hair the same length. I haven't paid a barber in a good 20 years.
The only time I miss my hair is when I crack my head on something... the hair used to give me a split second of warning... just enough to avoid the full force of what was coming. Also it sucks in the rain.
The only thing worse than being a bald headed man in the rain is being a bald headed man in the rain who wears glasses.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Well, I've got all my hair, but I haven't seen the inside of a barber shop in three or four years. I tried something that is not for the faint of heart- I bought a trimmer and a pair of scissors, and asked my wife to do it. You have to be willing to have a run of goofy haircuts for a while, but it's a good incentive for her to learn if she has to be seen in public in your company later on...

Yeah, but there's a distinctive downside to that. You've got to make sure that she's in a good mood when she does your hair and that you haven't done anything in the previous few weeks that really pissed her off. In fact, with the memory that some women have, you'd have to be on your best behaviour almost all the time. :)
Sounds like hell to me. Think I'd rather stick with almost being bald and cutting off the remnants as I have been doing every three months or so.

See, that's the backup plan, and she's aware of it. If she butchers it out of anger or carelessness, I've got no problem shaving my head (an idea she claims to hate.)
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Last July at the Minneapolis airport the guy shaved my head for $20. It is hard to find anymore though cause I have looked.
This barber agreed and said that he only knows a few and he should know. Turns out my head was being shave by the most prominent barber in the state. He not only owns the only barber shop at the airport but also the barber shop at the state capitol. also said that he is the head of the state licsensing for barbers.
So this guy is a rare barber and it has become hard to find a real barber shop that is equipped for a shave with the hot foam, hot towels, and the strraight razor. Most can only give you a buzz cut with the shears getting it as close as they can. the good ones will vaccuum your head after. With the bad ones you just have a lot of stubble till you shower.
So anyway last sumer finally decided to just keep it shaved til the weather turned. There are websites and forums for those who shave the head. Basically it just take some patience and practice.
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 00:23:00 +0000, Lew Hodgett wrote:

razor. It is, however, going out of style with the younger barbers. Alas.
D. G. Adams

We'll guys, my barber shop still uses straight razors for the final neck and sideburn trim. And I did see a guy a year or so back get a shave while I got my hair cut. These guys have been in the same shop in a strip mall since it opened in 1960. Great part of history that's still going strong in Aurora, IL.
Dan

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 06:17:58 GMT, "dan cordes"

Which shop? I used to go to the guys next to the drug store in West Plaza on Galena. Five barbers who had been together (in a couple of different locations) for 30 years. One day I went in and one of the chairs was empty. One of them had died. It was like a brother had been lost. I moved away in 1999, but stopped by for a cut in 2001. The first chair guy, Roger, had died (he was the one who had always cut mine). I won't ever be able to go back there.
I lived in Aurora for 21 years (worked there for 26).
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Those were the days . I have a razor strap & would never part with it,us it to sharpin knives & years ago used it to sharpin my son did a good job on both. Lew Hodgett wrote:

Shaving using a straight razor is still a part of the training at the Ohio State College of Barber Styling (Broad St near Hamilton Rd). I've watched many shaves while having my hair cut, haven't seen any blood yet. For myself, a Norelco works fine; I know I can survive a bad student haircut, but a bad shave??
Shaving using a straight razor is still a part of the training at the Ohio State College of Barber Styling (Broad St near Hamilton Rd). I've watched many shaves while having my hair cut, haven't seen any blood yet. For myself, a Norelco works fine; I know I can survive a bad student haircut, but a bad shave??
lwhaley wrote:

My 85-year old dad has a lady come in every week to give him a trim and a 'real shave'. She uses a straight razor-that has be difficult with all those wrinkles on his face. The rest of the time he uses a Philishave.
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 22:33:09 GMT, "Highland Pairos"

I've thought the same thing when looking at those strops. Seems a bit spendy for a piece of leather glued to a shaped piece of wood. I've saved my old leather apron for that very purpose. Now, the honing paste may be worth the price.

Yep.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

I bet certain types of toothpaste work perfectly... and will whiten your chisels and plane irons while making them minty fresh.
brian
| Mark & Juanita wrote: | > Now, the honing paste may be worth the price. | | I bet certain types of toothpaste work perfectly... and will whiten | your chisels and plane irons while making them minty fresh.
An aircraft mechanic buddy shaved part of a bar of grinding compound into a can with his pocket knife and added mineral spirits. When the crumbles had dissolved, he dipped a rag into the mix and used it to polish a plane.
I liked the simplicity. Went to my shop and attacked a white bar with an old SurForm plane blade and added mineral spirits - saved the mix in a plastic bottle for sharpening. It works well.
BTW, LV has a leather belt that fits my little 1"x42" belt sander. :-)
Morris Dovey wrote:

My dad's leather belt honed my backside to a fine finish...
Maybe I can find that one.
-Jim
Anybody remember the old "Pepsident" commercials (c. late 1950's early 1960's):
"..... with zironium silicate! Put's PIZZAZZ in your smile!"
Zirconium silicate is zircon, a commercial abrasive around 8-9 on the Mohs hardness scale.
-Zz