Maybe it escapes only me

Page 1 of 5
I was at a Woodcraft today trying to decide how to spend the giftcard I got for Xmas (Yea Me!). I was looking at items for final honing of my various blades. The strops that they sold were around $30 and the honing paste was $2 something. Now I have to tell you, but to my untrained eye, those strops looked a lot like a block of wood with a piece of leather glued to them. Now, if that is the case, then it strikes me that I can probably glue a piece of belt blank or a piece of a leather coat that got ripped recently to a piece of wood and get the same effect. Am I missing something? Is there something special about the leather that I need to account for? Maybe its the wood. Is it some exotic Honduran stropwood?
Hope everyone's Christmas was good.
SteveP.

Can only tell you that a piece of belt leather and compound has been putting a great edge on my stuff for about fifteen years. Belt was from an old jackshaft, so the leather's full quarter inch. Allows me some contouring.
On the subject of wood, it's often used as a base for stropping or honing compound.

OK - Time for the old fellows to weigh in. One of my earliest memories of barber shops probably goes back 56 years or more. I remember sitting in the chair watching the barber at the next chair sharpening a straight razor on a long leather strop. If you watch old westerns you will see the same thing. Long leather strops, hanging from the back of a barber chair or his bench were standard equipment for many years. I don't recall seeing one lately.
RonB
RonB wrote:
> OK - Time for the old fellows to weigh in. One of my earliest memories of > barber shops probably goes back 56 years or more. I remember sitting in the > chair watching the barber at the next chair sharpening a straight razor on a > long leather strop. If you watch old westerns you will see the same thing. > Long leather strops, hanging from the back of a barber chair or his bench > were standard equipment for many years. I don't recall seeing one lately.
NO, and you probably won't, thanks to the lawyers.
When is the last time you saw a straight razor in a barber shop?
When is the last time you saw somebody get a shave with a straight razor?
Hot towels wrapped over your face with a little hole left for breathing.
Short deft strokes. Wipe the hot lather and cut whiskers from the blade, after each stroke, on a piece of paper resting on your shoulder as you lay almost prone in the barber chair.
That shot of aftershave when the shave was finished.
Saturday afternoon in the fall, the Ohio State football game on the radio, getting a shave for that hot Saturday night date.
Those were the days my friend.
If you could afford a barber shop shave and a Saturday night night date, it had been a good week.
Don't even find a straight razor being used for the final neck trim any more, just a funky little electric trimmer.
It's just not the same.
Was told it is a liability issue with the insurance companies.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Saturday a week ago (I didn't make it in this week... :) )

Saturday week somebody else, I see myself every morning in the mirror (on the mornings I shave, anyway... :) ) ...

Barbers still use them here for the neck trim, too.
I suspect if they don't where you are it's either the local guys are just young and never learned the skill/art or your State has eliminated them for a perceived health issue. I really doubt the lawyers are to blame here (not that there aren't enough areas for which they do bear responsibility.. :( )

My barber has been cutting and shaving for about 60 years but no longer uses the straight edge. Health issues and Aids stopped it. I'm not sure if it is a state mandate or insurance, but they have not used them for over 15 years now.
I'd ask him, but it seems as though I no longer need his services.

uses
For approximately the past year, I'm in the same position where I've dispensed with the services of a barber. With the small amount of hair on top, for over a dozen years, I'd been having a barber trim it down to almost flush with the skin and they'd been charging me their standard $25 for ten minutes worth of work. It occurred to me about a year ago to spend $40 on an electric cutter for hair and I've been trimming it down myself ever since. It's convenient and doesn't cost me a cent anymore. Don't know why I didn't think of it years ago.
Only benefit I can think of being almost bald, that and I buy shampoo a lot less frequently. :)

I bought a Wahl trimmer a couple of years ago. A few passes every week or so keeps it in good condition.
Hair is over rated. I don't worry about wind messing anything up, I don't worry about a hat messing up my pompadour, I don't worry about hair in the face when swimming. I do, however, take precautions for sunburn.

Yeah, sunburn and I find I also get cold a lot faster unless I'm wearing a hat.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

I'm 64 and have a full head of brown hair. I chose my parents carefully.

I tried a different route, unsuccessfully. I was adopted and although my adoptive father was bald, he managed somehow to pass it onto me. I can still remember him laughing when I was away from home for almost a year and came back with 50% less hair.

... snip

I'm still trying to figure that one out. Dad has a full head of hair, both grandfathers had pretty much full heads of hair well into their 80's. My younger brother has hair. Seems to have skipped two full generations and found *me*. (At least one great-grandfather, maybe two, I only saw the one when he was in his 80's)

How about the UPS man?

My model year is well before UPS started delivering to the farm.

I tried....My 90 yr. old father while thinning has more hair than his three sons combined....sometimes the best laid plans just don't work out....Rod

See: "Going Bald? Blame Mom"
... "The suspect gene variation sits on the X chromosome, which is handed down to men by their mother. So a man may get an idea of his scalp's future from men on his mother's side of the family." ...
-- Mark

Duh. The URL. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/05/27/health/webmd/main698315.shtml
Mark Jerde wrote:

There were no men on my mother's side. Hers was a virgin birth. At least she thought so.
Bob

don't
Yeah, I found out the hard way about a sunburn on the top of the head. A day after being out in the sun for an hour and my scalp started to hurt. A quick peek in the mirror confirmed sunburn, but that wasn't the hardest part of the ordeal. After the sunburn came the flaking and what looked like the worst case of deathly dandruff one could imagine.
Winter and summer now, I'm always wearing a baseball cap. Only downside to that is that the wind catches it once in a while and I'm tearing down the street chasing it.
Upscale wrote:
> Winter and summer now, I'm always wearing a baseball cap. Only downside to > that is that the wind catches it once in a while and I'm tearing down the > street chasing it.
You need to get a "Tilley", a hat designed by a sailor named Tilley.
Designed to stay on your head regardless of the wind.
I never go sailing without mine.
Lew