maybe a gloat on my cordless inpact driver?

well it may turn out to be a gloat or something. I have beat up my metabo cordless drill driving in threaded inserts. so I was going to find a replacement for the wife to get me for Christmas. I had planned on getting the Panasonic 12v drill. I don't want a heavy tool as what I do is sometimes careful work or in odd angles. but the problem is the metabo has about the highest torque of any drill out there even most of the 18v tools. so if I got anything else I would have less power and the job I do really needs more. so I was thinking of the impact drivers. well I have a good tool store that has most of the better brands (no dewalt) so I could play around. but makita had a pretty good deal if it pans out. buy the 12v or 14v impact driver and you get a mail in rebate for a free current model 12v drill one that is selling for around 150 or so. this sounds like the way to go since the impact driver will not work as well as a cordless drill for drilling holes and such. but now's here is the thing will my rebate loose something so it does not qualify? I have had several rebates not filled because they said I did not send in the UPC code. I am thinking of taping and gluing them all on a sheet of paper and marking them so it will show if one is removed. maybe send a photo copy along with it to make sure it is not misplaced. maybe send it registered mail so I can make sure they can't say they never got it. any idea's?
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
I bought a Makita 12" slide miter and got the 12 volt impact driver as a rebate. It took about 3 weeks to show up. I though it was a pretty good deal, works well too.

I ma getting the same impact driver for Christmas Steve. I am currently waiting for the free drill also. Lets hop they show up. I always make color photo copies of what I am sending in in case something goes wrong. I think your idea of adding a copy with the original may be a good idea as long as they do not throw away the original and turn you down for using the photo copy one. :~)

I hope it works out as I will be lacking a regular drill I need otherwise. the Panasonic looked pretty nice. it came with a nice snap on chuck and the controls to make it useful for other tasks. Most of the things I use are not made in versions that fit the driver.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

I still have a 9.6 Panasonic Drill that I bought in 1993 IIRC. The drill was great. Unfortunately the battery replacements cost me not. LOL.. I had a relative that worked for a company that rebuilt the battery pack for free with fresh but out of date batteries.
That said, the variable speed on the Makita and the $199.00 shipped to my door from Amazon made the decision making easier. Only 1 of my 4 DeWalt batteries is working decently. I am replacing it with the free Makita Drill.

bum (G) battery packs cost too much.

I got it locally for 219.00 it's only a bit cheaper on Amazon right now. Since I started using a drill to put in the 1/4" threaded inserts I had to ream the hole a bit larger then 3/8" the metabo could just get one in with a lot of strain but it tended to tear out of my grip and really got me a few times. I tested the makita today after building a driver and it was no sweat driving one in without a reamed hole. it did not try to twist out of my hand at all. it is really the best type of tool to use to drive them in.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Great. I'll look forward to using mine. I could have use it about 6 weeks ago when my partner and I were hanging 4 Trophies. 2 were Caribou, 1 was an lan, and the smallest was an Elk. We were standing with our feet 12 from the floor on 2 ladders trying to drive gutter screws in the wall to hang them on. An 18 volt drill was not coming close to being adequate because of the force that we need to exert behind the screws. We ended up ratcheting lag bolts.
Steve, I have been lucky. I've had 100% success on all my rebates. I had one come back that was supposedly missing the UPC. I called them and they allowed me to send photo copy of the original UPC. When I submit something, I scan in everything I am sending to have a record. I always fill out the forms by typing rather than handwritten. Actually, I scan in the forms, then use a "forms typer" application to fill them out.
Good luck!

Which store is this? My guess would be Tool Peddler. But also Western Tool (but I think they sell Dewalt), or maybe Barbo?
Thanks, PDX David

tool peddler only few blocks from home (G) when I bought all my big tools from them they would bring them home for me.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 05:48:19 GMT, Steve Knight

I always send a photocopy of the rebate, receipt and upc on one sheet of paper in for rebates, and keep the originals. Never had a problem with them being filled, but I know that if I did, I could resend it.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Most rebates now say they won't accept anything but first class mail. Someone has to take the time to sign for other types of mail.
Of course, they lose any opportunity for the USPS to "lose" the rebates if the sender uses something that requires a signature.
Brian Elfert