May Sale at Rockler: Porter-Cable Deluxe Biscuit Joiner

Was asking about the Porter-Cable Deluxe Biscuit Joiner, Model No. 557 at Rockler this weekend and the mgr. told me they would go on sale around May

  1. There will be some % off plus a PC rebate. Is this BJ the one to have? The literature calls it a plate joiner (I just started out and have never even used one but need one already. This is an expensive hobby!).

KB St. Charles MO

-- "Change is the law of life, and those who look only to the past and present are certain to miss the future."

Reply to
K. B.

The PC would be a good buy. I have the Dewalt which I'm happy with but only bought it because Lowes was out of the PC. You going to the Rockler store on St. Charles Rock Road? I live down near Cape Girardeau (about 100 miles south of St. Louis) and go up there once every month or two and always go by the Rockler store. Last week was up there and picked up a Qt. of their new Mission Oak gel stain. I also always pick up a few pipe clamps from them. I like them better then the Pny.

Reply to
Mike S.

IMHO its the one to have. It does outside angles, FF biscuits and better handle design. All things that the Dewalt doesn't. You won't go wrong with the PC557.

Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

I grew up across the river from you, in St. Louis. Two Words: White Castles (not available where I live now). Thanks for the heads up on the tool. I've been waiting for someone to put that on sale.

Reply to
Oregon

That model is the one to have look to see that it is a "TYPE III". The going every day cheap price is $197.00 so I would make sure that this is the price before the rebate. Lastly, Plate Joiner is the correct name for the tool.

Reply to
Leon

"K. B." wrote in news:SVflc.889$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com:

This is an expensive hobby!).

It can be if you feel you need one of whatever the tool dealer is offering on sale this month. ;-)

On the other hand, if you only buy what you have used elsewhere before, you may find more money for wood, books, or time away with the significant other and/or family.

Don't get me wrong - biscuits are great. But there are usually ways for the hobbyist to join wood just as well that don't involve $200 to start. If you are doing a kitchen, or small production runs, then maybe....

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

If you are talking about a BJ...... well, I'd skip metal tools.

Sorry- but yes, the Porter Cable is a better tool, my Dewalt is not very versatile, and there is flex in the frame.

hey- are you sure you need a biscuit joiner? They are not the most usefull thing in the shop. Only time I value mine is to hold alignment, I'm not sure a butt joint is much stronger with or without biscuits.

-Dan V.

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

Thanks for all the comments.

Dan, I think I do need a biscuit joiner cause both of my projects (yea, just two) need one. One is a 17" X 14" tall wood piece and I chose hard board, not plywood. This means I have to butt glue the wood together to make a "sheet". The other is a window frame, 6 side box- nearly all glass for plant display. I might make a kitchen cabinet to go over my breakfast bar as well.

What might be a better way to spend $200 tool dollars? I dont own any planes, joiners, planers, or a sliding arm saw (which I wish I had a couple of times already). I have 6 pipe clamps, 6 long bar clamps, several wood block clamps, drill press, cheap @ss table saw, chop saw, and cheap B&D electric sander and jigsaw.

Thanks for your guidance,

KB

Reply to
K. B.