Maximum height for spindle sander drums?

Hi all,
I'm contemplating the purchase of a spindle sander, and want to use it in part for thicknessing difficult-figured woods. I see that typical low-end spindle sanders like the Ridgid and the low end Grizzly models use spindles that are around 3 or 4" in height.
Does anyone know if it's possible to use taller drums on models like this? And if so, who sells them? Or is it neccessary to step up to a more expensive model to use a taller drum, say 7" or 8"? I can see where on a unit designed for a 3" drum, installing something much taller might result in unacceptable run-out.
I'm aware that both Jet and Grizzly sell spindle sanders that come standard with 9" drums, but both of these models are overkill for me at this stage, not to mention the whole space issue.
Any feedback would be most appreciated!
PQ
how would you secure a taller drum? there is a nut on top of the spindle of my Ryobi OSS to secure the drums.
dave
Pet Quality wrote:

Good point. I was assuming (perhaps wrongly) that the method of attaching the drum might be different from one manufacturer to another. If all spindle sanders work the same way - with a nut at the top of the drum to secure it, then a taller drum might not be possible. Anyone else care to weigh in on this?
PQ

The JET benchtop uses a 6" length, with almost 5" useable. I've fenced and surfaced 4+ stock with mine, using a bit of creative drum positioning.
Seen the Grizzly OSS/Disk ? Best of the sanders in one model, though my experience with Grizzly makes me leery. Spindle looks a ringer for the JET.