Maximizing 4'x8' plywood sheet layout

Is anyone know if there is a program that can layout the pattern of a given varies size of small pieces cutout on a 4'x8' plywood?
Yes..Cutlist..Go here for a free download that will handle up to 5 parts on wood, and 11 on hardware. http://www.cutlistplus.com
Todd Peterson, who owns the company and wrote the program is also a woodworker and a very nice guy...Very helpful...
unkown wrote:

I just purchased this program after hearing about it on this group. Its a very well done practical program. I never realized how much of a drag doing material layouts was to me until I got this program. The really beautiful part is to be able to enter your offcuts as materials and have it show you how to use them up for parts that you need.
My son-in-law recently bought a sailboard that came packed in a box made from four 4x8 sheets of Luanne plywood. We took the box apart, logged the pieces in cutlist plus, then my wife entered the sizes she wanted as backer boards for oil painting canvases. It figured out the cut patterns and saved me hours of aggravation. The best part is printing out the drawings of the odd bits of plywood with cutouts clearly marked on the drawings.
Bob
That is excatly the kind of program that I'm looking for, I will give it a try.
Thank you very much.

Does anyone know of a similar program for Macs (OS X)? I've searched a little without luck so far.
Wr, Tim
On 4/5/04 22:28, in article V5scc.34528$oR5.774@pd7tw3no, "unkown"

I have yet find anything for OSX. Cut1.1 is a classic app that work ok, but Cutlist Pro is MUCH better. I run in under Virtual PC.
RonMan

Tue, Apr 6, 2004, 5:47am (EDT+4) wrobertdavis snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (BobDavis) says: <snip> my wife entered the sizes she wanted as backer boards for oilpainting canvases. It figured out the cut patterns and saved me hours of aggravation. The best part is printing out the drawings of the odd bits of plywood with cutouts clearly marked on the drawings.
I guess I'm missing part of all this. Personally, I don't see "hours of aggrevation" laying out something, especially something like painting backer boards. If nothing else, I'd just cut out patterns from paper, lay them on the wood, and trace them. After all, even after you use your program, you're still gonna have to measure, and lay out cut lines.
One of the things I enjoy is me deciding how I want to cut my wood, etc. You know, using my brain. Using a program for it, might as well be working for some company, doing stuff like that.
Seems to me, you're missing out on some of the fun stuff.
JOAT Don't e-mail me while I'm breathing.
(Bob Davis) says:

I use CutList too and don't put any lines on the sheet stock. Just set the rip fence and start whacking. It's not aggravation [sic] I'm looking to avoid, it's minimizing waste/cutoff on expensive sheet stock like ApplePly.

Perhaps. But 'puters are really great at somethings. Maximizing; finding optimal solutions (if the programmer did his/her job) is one thing they're good at.
Seems to me, you're missing out on some of the fun stuff.
Different strokes for different folks JOAT. What's fun for you is great and I won't criticize. I happen to like having a computer do work for me. There are still plenty of things around to challenge my brain and have fun.
Bob