Mathias's video today

I do not understand how a 2/3 hp motor can out perform a 2 or 3hp motor on a big dust collector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBxFNUWD2GQ&feature=em-uploademail

--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

vacuum pump but a air mover.
--
 GW Ross

 Everybody has a right to be stupid,
On 4/25/2014 10:47 AM, G. Ross wrote:

Not sure I understand, he has a blower that is pushing a large impeller... something that a 2hp motor would be required for. His is 2/3
Both his DC and this blower are on, and he is overcoming the more powerful DC... which he should not be able to.
So it is more powerful.
--
Jeff

On 4/25/2014 12:28 PM, woodchucker wrote:

His home made impeller is certainly more efficient that the 4 or 5 blade one in the larger unit so it probably spins with less effort.
Having said that, the smaller unit simply relieved the pressure inside the filter bag, naturally the bag would collapse. Had the smaller one really out performed the big one I suspect that the bag would have totally collapsed immediately rather than gradually float down. Since the bag did not actually flatten the larger blower still out performed the smaller one. And depending on the layer of dust in the upper bag, the less the restriction, the more the smaller unit would appear to be out performing the larger one.
What a cool project to work on. Yes, he is quite a patient model builder.... I envy his carefulness...... I was wondering what it would be like to either cast in aluminum, or build with sheet metal...... john