Material suggestions please

Ok, this project is going to be a little bizzare and maybe considered ecentric. I plan on building a recumbent trike out of wood. The only bike stock parts I plan to use are the bottom bracket, the wheel hubs, chain, sprockets and braking systems. I also plan to build a matching trailer. Since this will all be done using timber including the wheels I'm going to need a lightweight hardwood. I will have to steam bend the curved components of the frame.

So any suggestions of what to use would be appreicated.

Many Thanks

TR

Reply to
TrailRat

Cooper used oak and ash; had complete control. Made bikes and motor cycles with bent laminates. An artist's artist.

(Routers)

Reply to
pat

Think about sitka spruce. It's not a hardwood but has an excellent weight/strength ratio. If it's good enough for such stressed components as airplane frames and boat spars, I'd think it would work well for you. For additional strength you could could laminate using epoxy/fiberglass or even incorporate some carbon fiber.

Are you planning on using wood rims as well?

- G

Reply to
High Score

I am indeed but I plan to make so that I can put either a pnuematic or solid rubber tyre on the rim.

TR

Reply to
TrailRat

IIRC Bamboo was used for frame tubes in some early bikes. Don't know how it was lugged together.

Sounds like a fun project - I'd like to see what you come up with!

TrailRat wrote:

Reply to
Martin R