Material for RAS top

I need to replace the sacrificial table cover on my RAS... starting to bow in the middle after 10 years. It's 1/4" pressboard (I think that's the term), which had a big advantage over other materials at the time - it came on a crate that was delivered to my house so it was free.
What's the best material to use to replace it? I'm thinking something like of 1/4" hardboard because it's cheap at home depot and fairly smooth, unlike the pressboard. Other ideas?
Thanks, Michael
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 10:00:32 -0500, Michael Press wrote:

I use 1/4" Baltic Birch. A half sheet (30" x 60") goes for around $7. If more than the sacrificial top is bowed, It should be replaced with 3/4" MDF. Some folks double the main table to two sthicknesses of 3/4" MDF. I use 3/4" poplar for fences. MDF also works well for aux tables and other jigs as it is very stable and not prone to twistinig/warping.
-Doug

Take a look at the Mr. Sawdust Book, How to Master The Radial Saw http://mrsawdust.com/ and make one of his RAS table tops.
--
Rumpty

DAMN you Rumphy.... LOL I figured you would actually post what you use because we all know you love RAS's (not a flame ) and if anyone knew what was the best thing to use it would be you...
I own an old Crapsman ..not a Dewalt ... that serves only as a cut off saw yet it does hold its aleignment pretty well.... BUT I use the standard pressboard table covered with a two individual pieces of 1/4 inch birch plywood... in between these two pieces I insert a 2 inch wide piece of masonite as my sacrificial piece... takes 30 seconds to replace the insert when I do want a cut to be absolutely free of tear out etc...this way the table top on my saw never gets beat up... masonite Plywood 2 in plywwod [ ][ ][ ] [ ][ ][ ] ] ][ ][ ] [ ][ ][ ] [ ][ ][ ]
Bob Griffiths
LOL!
I have a Mr. Sawdust style table and I use a sheet of 1/4" luan for the sacrificial top. My fence is a strip of 3/4" pine. It too is sacrificial and typically gets replaced every two weeks or so.
--
Rumpty