Material for a Child's Desk?

Page 2 of 2
Robert Bonomi wrote:

The "usual" material for "non-fine-furniture desks" was and is steel. For "fine furniture desks" as well in some cases--see for example the Johnson's Wax Building. But we're not talking about office desks here, we're talking about student classroom desks, where when the kid took a test the only thing allowed on that desktop was the kid, a test paper, and a pencil.
In any case, the original poster was asking about a material out of which to make desk for his child, and one of the concerns that he expressed was the suitability of the material as a writing surface.

I don't recall in my entire time as a student in the public schools ever sitting down at a desk on which there was a blotter or any other kind of desk pad, except for the one in my father's office. And very few of us had fountain pens. I did sit at a couple of desks that had empty inkwells.

Yes, you can. Personally I find that a Desco static mat works very nicely for that purpose and has the secondary benefit that it helps me avoid zapping whatever electronic components I happen to be fiddling with. Be a bit more durable but a lot more expensive. Don't go with the 3M though--it will be a bit sticky for the first ten years or so.

Certainly a reasonable thing to do _if_ it will be used entirely as a writing desk. If it's a typical kid though it will be used for many other purposes, some of which would likely result in frequent replacement of desk pads.
--
--John