Matching Wood Tones in Modern Apartment???

I am trying to create a minimalist, high-contrast interior, complimenting my wood cabinets, hardwood floors and wood doors. I'll have very dark colored kitchen cabinets (cherry wood stained dark mahogany). I'm buying new interior doors and refinishing oak hardwood floors, but I don't know what color to stain each of them. (Also, the doors are available only in Birch.) So here are my questions: Should I try to match all the wood tones throughout the apartment, or should I go for contrast? And do you think it'll be tough to match the same tone on cherry, birch and oak? (Probably birch and cherry are easier to match than either of those two to oak, right?) Is matching them "perfectly" an impossible aim and will it look "hokey"?

Thanks!

Reply to
gobofraggle

Many way to visualize before you purchase or build.

inexpensive 3D design programs available at bulk outlet stores have design and flythru modes for color and material sampling.

What you should do to a home depends on the customer. Is that you or do you plan on selling anytime soon? If there is a potential to sell, check with local real estate agents to see what the current trends are in your locale.

As far as the kitchen goes, ask the cook. Many kitchens are designed by someone who doesn't use them. Dark cabinets will require up to three times the lighting to result in a productive cooking environment. Defer to the cook in charge.

Matching tones is always harder than contrast, matching tones on different woods can be even more troublesome.

Matching perfectly is luck of the draw. It could match on your first try, or you may never get a match. Even if matched, over time, UV and general fading may create differences even within the first year.

I prefer light in homes, ample windows and light tone paints. I only use dark stained woods in a room painted white or light tones. Personally, I dislike dark kitchens. It looks very dated to me. Light = work, dark = relax. Therefore light in the kitchen and office, dark in the bedroom and living room. Entirely personal taste.

Reply to
Joe