matching Stickley finish

Page 2 of 3

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I have had excellent support with Dell. (*) Tip: Buy computers & maintenance contracts through their "Small Business" portal.
-- Mark
(*) Including getting a laptop 1600x1200 LCD replaced that had been damaged by a BB gun. :-(

Mark Jerde wrote:

I tried to buy a computer from them. They were doing this burger thing about having it your way. I asked if I could have a computer built without Winders, and with parts that were Linux supported. Two "NOs". Apparently you can have any computer you want, as long as it's the one by the door. Ought to call it Hobson's computer.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Dunno what parts you're having issues with, but we've never had a bit of trouble getting Linux running on any of the Dells at work.
Lee
Lee DeRaud wrote:

Must be nice. I've been having Winmodem and scanner issues.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Dave in Fairfax wrote:

It might be why they call it a Winmodem. ;-)
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
"no(SPAM)vasys" wrote:

I get that. This is a USR and I wasn't expecting it to turn out to be a Winmodem. Wouldn't have bought it if I'd seen that anywhere on the packaging. The scanner is a bigger issue.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
"Dave in Fairfax" wrote in message

and
court
Probably a damn good thing ... if they were all like the one's who are put out front to watt on the public in this neck of the woods, we would be in even bigger trouble. But I'll have to take your word for it .... those who pay the freight aren't allowed behind the counter.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05
Swingman wrote:

The USPS is an "atypical" part of the gov. It operates outside differently than line agencies. Unfortunately it has time and performance constraints that place enormous demands on its personnel. Most manage to be civil and indeed friendly under those demands, but after a time it can get to them. The Patent Office is another area where people have to accomplish an obscene amount of woork within a very limited time period and it results in a lot of stress for them as well. Peoplle have problems dealing with stress, and when it becomes a long-term or constant part of the job, they lose the will/desire to do their all. Unofrtuantely it stresses those who truly want to do the best the most.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
"Dave in Fairfax" wrote in message

Must be nice living in Fairfax ... and at one time it was like that here, but this urban cesspool ceased being Pleasantville quite a few years back. Unfortunately, there is a _notable_ passive/aggressive behavior amongst many of the "public servants" in this area ... and in more than one language/dialect.
This morning (at the building code department) was a perfect example ... don't even want to go there.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05
Swingman wrote:

It wasn't wonderful 20 years ago, and things have gone downhill since then. We're researching WA as a place to retreat to. The problems of "cultural diversity" are pretty annoying at this point. The driving habits come to mind as do the misuses of the system. I'll be glad to get out of Dodge. OTOH, I think that everybody should have to live in the DC area for a few years so that they could learn how th e gov really works.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

I am sorry to pick nits here, but by definition music has both rhythm and melody. Rap may have have rhythm that point is debateable, but it lacks melody. Therefore, the words Rap and Music, when used to describe an "art form" whose practitioners and "performers" are judged more by their body count and arrest record than by their talent, are mutually exclusive. Or put more succinctly: Rap is crap!
On Fri, 27 May 2005 22:35:51 GMT, "Beej-in-GA"

the best definition of music I've seen is "an arrangement on notes in time"

your (racial/ cultural/ class) bias is showing...

Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best. -- Frank Zappa
or...
Americans want grungy people, stabbing themselves in the head on stage. They get a bright bunch like us, with deodorant on, they don't get it. --Liam Gallagher
On Fri, 27 May 2005 15:54:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

Just because everyone exclaims how wonderful and resplendant the king's clothes are, doesn't hide the fact that he is naked. Neither then by attempting to wrap some kind of aura of "culture" or "ethnicity" or "social standing" around a form of behavior that is then promoted as entertainment, despite the fact that numerous people clamor and buy it, does that make it so. What's doubly frustrating is the fact that those who point out the nudity are then accused of some sort of failing on their part.
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

"social
entertainment,
"Music" has a long history of spotlighting cultural/ethnic differences ... and one man's poi is another man's poison.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

in the early days of jazz it was railed against by narrowminded white folks using the very arguments being used against rap today. how well do you actually know rap music, Mark?
On Sun, 29 May 2005 19:15:09 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

Believe it or not Bridger, I have actually listened to some of it. There may even be a couple of rap "pieces" I've found somewhat entertaining, but at an esoteric, occasional piece kind of way, certainly not as an entire genre of music. My primary gripe is not only the fact that it is very difficult to identify what one could call "music", but also the lyrical content is hardly what one could call entertainment, unless of course one enjoys the lilting lyrics of drunken sailors after they've mashed their thumbs with hammers. Now, as far as the "music" portion goes, lest you think this is a "narrow-minded white guy thing", I also find much modern classical music lacking in this department as well. When you read in the program, "xdx abandoned tonality at a young age, ...." you know that the evening's program is *not* going to be pleasant. :-)
Mark & Juanita wrote:

To be sure, Ornette Coleman is a very difficult listen. Miles Davis can be, but he can also set you on a course to Nirvana. Speaking of Nirvana, they were also a difficult listen. I just couldn't understand the words for the background noise. A young woman explained that they were the poets of her age. I guess I couldn't get everything that Led Zep sang either; the Beatles were something else.     mahalo,     jo4hn (happy birthday to me)
On Fri, 27 May 2005 22:35:51 GMT, "Beej-in-GA"

My apologies and deep regrets. Please strike my original statement and modify to read: "smart rock or the required IQ to actually enjoy rap."
That better? again, :-)

Yep, and still funny!!! Well done. Thanks. (ROFLMAO)