Matching finish on one year old wood floor

I refinished my 50 year old red oak floors last year, but I left one

4'x4' spot in the entryway unfinished. At the time, the entryway was covered in two layers of old tile with tar and tar paper holding it down. I finlly got all that out, and I want to match the two sections.

What's the best way? I used four coats of satin finish oil based varathane with no stain. The existing finish meets the raw wood along the long seam between two boards. I was thinking lightly sanding one existing board, then doing three coats of varathane on the raw wood, and a final fourth coat on the whole thing, including one board wide of the old floor. Will that match well?

Also, I was thinking of taping off the existing floor with blue 3m masking tape so I don't get varathane on the finished floor. Is there something better than masking tape?

Thanks in advance. ~Paul

Reply to
Paul Huber

Mark L.

Paul,

Be careful with the blue 3m tape on your floor finish. I put some 3m blue tape on our kitchen table for a card game we were playing and when we pulled it off after we were done (1-2hours later) it ripped the finish and some of the underlying wood off in 2 places. GACK!! I didn't build the table so I assume it's a poly-varnish finish, but just thought I'd pass that on so you don't get the same reaction.

I've noticed various masking tapes made for paint (3m blue) and clear finishes or something like that (pink or purple). Don't know if they make a difference or should make a difference or if something else was seriously wrong with my table beforehand, your experience my differ...

Good luck, Mike

[snip]

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

Any cured finish that won't stand 2 hours of 3M blue tape, or even regular masking tape, is not properly applied. If your table is still under warranty; return it.

Reply to
Alan Bierbaum

I'd be happy to, but since we've had it for about 7 years now, that's probably not going to happen ;)

Does age and UV cause a finish to weaken then? Not that it might still have been a poorly applied finish in the first place mind you...

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

It appears that the finish never bonded to the wood. I would not be surprised if you have more problems. It looks like a strip, sand and refinish from here.

Reply to
Alan Bierbaum