Matching finish on one year old wood floor

I refinished my 50 year old red oak floors last year, but I left one 4'x4' spot in the entryway unfinished. At the time, the entryway was covered in two layers of old tile with tar and tar paper holding it down. I finlly got all that out, and I want to match the two sections.
What's the best way? I used four coats of satin finish oil based varathane with no stain. The existing finish meets the raw wood along the long seam between two boards. I was thinking lightly sanding one existing board, then doing three coats of varathane on the raw wood, and a final fourth coat on the whole thing, including one board wide of the old floor. Will that match well?
Also, I was thinking of taping off the existing floor with blue 3m masking tape so I don't get varathane on the finished floor. Is there something better than masking tape?
Thanks in advance. ~Paul
I would just match it fairly closely, and then let the wear and tear of daily use do the rest for you. I was fretting about getting an exact match on some additional flooring I was adding to a room. I just took a guess (although a lucky one ;-) and after a while of use, you couldn't tell the old from the new.
As long as the old doesn't meet the new across any single board, any minor variation will look just like a natural difference in the wood. Let us know how it turns out. But remember to give it time for both floors to 'equalize'. Mark L. Paul Huber wrote:

Paul,
Be careful with the blue 3m tape on your floor finish. I put some 3m blue tape on our kitchen table for a card game we were playing and when we pulled it off after we were done (1-2hours later) it ripped the finish and some of the underlying wood off in 2 places. GACK!! I didn't build the table so I assume it's a poly-varnish finish, but just thought I'd pass that on so you don't get the same reaction.
I've noticed various masking tapes made for paint (3m blue) and clear finishes or something like that (pink or purple). Don't know if they make a difference or should make a difference or if something else was seriously wrong with my table beforehand, your experience my differ...
Good luck, Mike
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Paul Huber) wrote in message
[snip]

Any cured finish that won't stand 2 hours of 3M blue tape, or even regular masking tape, is not properly applied. If your table is still under warranty; return it.
--
Alan Bierbaum

Web Site: http://www.calanb.com
I'd be happy to, but since we've had it for about 7 years now, that's probably not going to happen ;)
Does age and UV cause a finish to weaken then? Not that it might still have been a poorly applied finish in the first place mind you...
Mike

It appears that the finish never bonded to the wood. I would not be surprised if you have more problems. It looks like a strip, sand and refinish from here.
--
Alan Bierbaum

Web Site: http://www.calanb.com