Match an older stain.

I need to replace a piece of molding around a door. The original stain was "fruitwood", and is about 20 years old. I cut a piece of molding to fit and stained it with minwax fruitwood, but the original wood around the door is "orangier". Any ideas what I could do to match it?
-Jim

Buy several small amounts of stain and blend, blend blend. Unless you know the exact brand used originally the color is going to be hard to match.
You can try Home Depot. I think they will mix a stain to match.
Ted

Funny this question comes up now, Not more than an hour ago I had the same problem, woodwork in bedroom that is more than 40 years old. the frames around the windows are great but the moulding is all crapped up with various layers of paints and holes. I took an original piece to Lowes and the girl there matched it perfectly with an olympic stain.
Damn good thing, cause I didn't want to off shade too badly and I sure didn't want to replace all the woodwork.
Searcher
Shopdog wrote:

Quite often, single stains mixed to match old work don't stay matched.
Dyes and pigments fade, wood changes color, clearcoats amber...
geeze don't tell me that, it looks so good right now!
search
I use dies in color complements to tone down off colors. Get a color wheel for reference. www.homesteadfinishing.com has designed some liquid concentrate TransTint dyes in many colors as well as the three primaries for fine tuning. Mix with lots of different vehicles and are transparent. Great forums there also.