mason jars... shellac...

Page 3 of 3

Mason jars come in standard sizes (pint, quart, & half-gallon), and usually have volume markings up one side as well, which makes it a *lot* easier to consistently mix a particular cut of shellac. "All sorts of stuff" comes in jars that are odd sizes (e.g. 14 oz instead of a full pint) and have no volume markings.

If you want a particular cut of shellac, it's easier to calculate how much shellac and alcohol you need if you're using standard sizes. A pound is sixteen ounces. A gallon is sixteen cups. 1-lb cut = 1 lb per gallon or 1 oz per cup. Easy.

So does a pint (or quart) mason jar with volume marks up the side.

If you use mason jars, they're already marked. It's molded into the glass, and you don't have to worry about the alcohol erasing your markings.
Corner grocery chain store carries pint and quart jars year round. Protect the treads at the top of the jar so shellac wont seal them. DAMHIKT. Jeff Jewitt uses teflon tape, others use vaseline. Pour 2" of flakes into a jar then add alcohol to a 4" level and you've got "about" a 2# cut. Six month shelf life after mixing. Mine stores in garage fridge. Try French Polishing with you sample mixture.
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 20:22:39 -0500, Silvan

Silvan wrote:

As others have said they're hard to find out of canning season. I found one of the few REAL, old style hardware stores here can order them for me with a three or four day delivery time at the normal price anytime. They're a little more that the box stores, but for any size from 8oz to half gallon whenever I need them I'll keep buying from them. I seem to remember a mention of using plastic wrap between the jar and lid to keep the threads clean.
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 20:22:39 -0500, Silvan

develop a peanut butter habit. great jars....

bridger writes:

Yes. And they're plastic, at least around here, so breakage isn't a problem. The smaller ones are great for all kinds of modest sized fasteners.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
Silvan wrote:

Shellac begins to deteriorate as soon as it is disolved in alcohol and continues to degrade until it is used and all the alcohol has evaporated.
As the degredation process is slow but continuous and varies with temperature and possibly impurities in the mix it is impossible to say how long the shellac will stay 'good' after it is mixed.
So the general reccomendation for best results is to ony mix as much as you will use on your current project, assuming that you will do all the finishing over a reasonably short time frame like a couple of weeks.
As to safety issues I agree that there is no reason to suppose you could not clean the jars adequately for later use for food, but why reuse them?
A more important safety consideration is that glass jars break easily, and the mixed shellac is inflammible (also flammible ;-0 ) which is one reason why most solvents are sold in metal containers, not glass. That's another reason to not mix large batches.
--

FF