Mason and Sullivan Plans search..... (2023 Update)

Back in the early 80's I started a Grandmother clock using Mason and Sullivan plans. I was looking at the clock the other day and decided I would like to complete it. Does anyone know where I can possibly find some copies of the old Mason and Sullivan plans? Are there any still in existance?

Jim P

Reply to
Jim P

I believe there is a clock news group. Baring that there are web pages.

Good luck with Google.com they seem to find things well.

Mart> Back in the early 80's I started a Grandmother clock using Mason and > Sullivan plans.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Martin

There are not any clock news groups. (only computer over-clocking) Google does not come up with much except the fact that they closed their doors years ago.

Jim P

Reply to
Jim P

I found this on houseclocks.com:

Mason & Sullivan had plans for most of their clocks. Woodcraft, which bought M&S (and essentially liquidated the company), has only one plan for the grandfather clock (and no doubt retains the copyright on the others). Woodcraft apparently has no intention of reproducing any other plans so they may effectively be lost. This is a list of the clock case plans from the

1987 Mason & Sullivan catalog showing the tremendous variety of clocks and plans the company had. Unless noted otherwise, plans were for mechanical movements. Steeple, Double Steeple, Massachusetts Shelf, Desk (quartz), Wall with Moving Moon Dial (quartz), Mini Tambour (quartz), Coachman's Regulator, Tambour, U.S. Lighthouse, Scroll, Railroad Regulator, School, Orleans Crystal Regulator, Williamstown Colonial Tall, Colonial Grandmother, Colonial Grandfather (this is the only one left at WoodCraft), Early American Grandmother, Classic Grandfather, Shaker Tall, Connecticut Cottage, Willard Banjo, Country Wall, Office Long Drop Regulator, Shaker Wall. 18th Century Boston Parlor, American Mantel, No 2 Regulator, Rose Octagon, Crystal Regulator, Eli Terry Pillar & Scroll, Calendar Regulator. Vienna Regulator, Schoolhouse Regulator, English gallery (quartz).

Just keep digging and make some phone calls to some places that come up in the Google searches. They appear to have been a big outfit so someone out there should be able to help

Larry C

Reply to
Larry C

"Larry C" wrote in news:K8_hl.852$N02.253 @nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

Ran across this in a quick Google search...

Looks like the book is still available.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

I was Marketing VP at Mason & Sullivan in the early 1980s. They were, I think, the best of the clock kit companies.

M & S bought clock movements overseas and domestically. Most of the dials were made in-house, and many of the other metal parts were custom-made.

The wood parts were all M & S designs, although many of the designs were of course based on famous originals. The wood parts were all made either in-house or at a local (Cape Cod) millwork shop.

M & S sold whatever the customer wanted - from detailed plans through turnings and moldings through complete pre-cut wood kits right up to finished clocks. Their customers were primarily woodworking hobbyists and clock fanciers, although there were a surprising number of professional cabinetmakers as well - who found it cheaper and easier to build from kits than from scratch.

If Woodcraft doesn't have the plans available, you might try contacting the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. Many of the plans were bought by their members, and I'd bet that some of them still have the one you're looking for.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

[...]

Thank you very much John It is a step in the right direction.

Jim P

Reply to
Jim P

Thank you Larry

I appreciate your help.

Jim

Reply to
Jim P

And it might be in your local library...

London Ontario's library has one.

Reply to
phorbin

Jim P, I have a set of plans for a Mason & Sullivan grandmother clock (Plan # M-170) dated 1964. You can contact me at itsdark@msn if you still need a plan. Ed

Reply to
deathgirl74

OK, just saw this post, yes, some 6 years later. Do have plans for the Grandmother Case Model 6612 if of any help at such a late date

Stephen

Reply to
sasayer09

Alibris has it for $3.00

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Jim, I do have plans for 1978 Model 6150 Mason and Sullivan Co plans in ful l. Have not used them and do not know if the clock mechanism is still avail able. do you still have the clock mechanism and clock parts? if yes, I migh t buy from you the clock parts. If I can't find the clock, I will sell the plans. Herb b

Reply to
bullockh03

FWIW, Jim asked in Feb, 2009. Hopefully he still visits here to see your reply.

Reply to
Leon

Must be that time again - I just spotted a response to an ancient post in another group :-).

Reply to
Trenbidia

I have an Eli Terry Shelf Clock kit, still in the box but missing the movement. Does anyone know if there are any that would fit it, or would someone like to purchase the kit I have (with assembly instructions)?

Reply to
onebig88

snipped-for-privacy@cros.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

This question is not quite Electric Comet like in it's brevity, but it's unanswerable for lack of sufficient information.

Do you have the dial? Do you want an electric movement or a mechanical one? What are the dimensions for mounting the movement?

Assuming you want an electric movement, they are all much the same, and can be bought from dozens of vendors.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

ull. Have not used them and do not know if the clock mechanism is still ava ilable. do you still have the clock mechanism and clock parts? if yes, I mi ght buy from you the clock parts. If I can't find the clock, I will sell th e plans. Herb b

ull. Have not used them and do not know if the clock mechanism is still ava ilable. do you still have the clock mechanism and clock parts? if yes, I mi ght buy from you the clock parts. If I can't find the clock, I will sell th e plans. Herb b

IS THIS PLAN FOR THE WILLIAMSTOWN COLONIAL TALL CLOCK? I'D BE INTERESTED IF NOT TOO LATE. snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM

Reply to
SLORINGS

I have the plans of a Mason and Sullivan shaker grand father clock which I bought in 1980. snipped-for-privacy@mail.com Paul

Reply to
cory1089

I have the parts for this plan. New still in plastic wrapper. I don? ?t have a clue what I have.

Reply to
jackjones7072