maroon stain on birch plywood (or why Home Depot makes me cry)

Can anyone offer suggestions for a painless-as-could-be-expected way of staining birch plywood a deep, intense red color? Something almost cartoony red or maroon, as opposed to the reddish-brown colors one would expect from wood. Sample color: http://rurl.org/28hx
I've checked out samples of the Minwax products. The water-based ones seemed more "colorful", but none of the reds seemed deep enough - and all were orangey reds, rather than blueish reds, which I'd prefer. The closest thing I saw was the Polyshades Bombay Mahogany... But I've seen mixed reviews of that product, and it seemed like it would completely hide the grain when used dark enough.
I'm an amateur, so grinding my own dyes with a mortar and pestle or similarly complex solutions may be beyond the scope of the current project.
As an aside - I'm living in New York City, and have pretty limited access to retailers of stuff like this. Any general suggestions for good woodworking supply shops in the NYC area would be most welcome. I went to Home Depot today, and almost had a brain aneurysm, their selection was so bad.
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 19:40:37 -0800 (PST), the infamous meeotch

Good luck on getting WOOD that color.

Urp!
You couldn't do it finely enough.

Boy, are _you_ going to be surprised. Read on. <g>

Don't stain, dye...if you must. <sigh> Lockwood is in your neck of the woods, NYC. Get some. http://www.wdlockwood.com /
They do water, alcohol, and oil, but the Ruby/OxBlood looks close to what you want in their waterborne dyes.
-- "I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things that money can buy." --Tom Clancy

Try a store like Woodcraft.
http://tinyurl.com/ye77r99
Or, google "aniline dye". I don't know what stores are in NYC but you ought to be able to find something. That is a pretty standard color for guitar bodies. The body is dyed that color and then top coated with a clear lacquer or polyurethane.
Ed

You might consider a milk paint, General Finishes offers a vairiety of country colors. Follow up with a varnish if needed.

Cherry KoolAid; several packets in a cup of water. This will raise the grain since it's water based. I've used this (drink mix) for several projects, esp. for toys that will be chewed on by toddlers. Diluted and used as a stain, it doesn't have any taste, but is absolutely safe and non-toxic. Do test strips to determine mixing strengths and coverage.