Marking your tools/territory

Do you and, if so, how do you folks mark tools with your name?

Thinking of everything from theft prevention and recovery to aiding the absent-minded relative that borrowed a tool. Do you engrave your names on the tools? Do you scribe it with permanent marker? Or do you not mark your tools at all?

Already recorded the serial numbers - just thinking I should go one step further and attach my surname to each tool.

thanks!

Reply to
tnfkajs

"tnfkajs" writes: .

Marking tools, like locks, keep honest people honest.

Thieves could care less if something is marked.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The only tools I used to mark were my mechanics tools when I worked 17 years in the auto field. At home, there aren't anyone else's tools to get confused with. I'm not too paranoid equipment being stolen. Somewhere in my office I could find serial numbers of my equipment, in a pinch. I don't lay awake worrying about that kinda stuff.

dave

tnfkajs wrote:

Reply to
bay area dave

Wed, Jul 30, 2003, 1:28am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.nospam.com (Bubba) claims: I've never heard of woodworking tools being stolen from a home.

You must never watch the news.

Marked or not, if you lend your tools to friends or relatives, you might as well kiss them (your tools) goodby.

I don't lend tools, and since I painted mine yellow, I don't think my kids have even touched one, let alone taken one out to use it.

JOAT Always put off until tomorrow something which, tomorrow, you could put off until, let's say, next year.

- Lady Myria LeJean.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 23 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

I just had a few grand worth of tools stolen. I didn't have the serial numbers written down, but had the manuals for the tools so I will be reimbursed. However, it is best if you put your mark (name, symbol, whatever) somewhere on the tool and if you can, inside the tool where it can't be seen. Also, as you have done, record the model and serial numbers. Finally, take a picture of each tool and make a copy of the receipt if you have it. Hopefully, the insurance company won't argue with that.

Supposedly, when a tool is hocked, the serial number is checked against the police database of stolen items (at least here in San Antonio). The officer that took the report of my theft said a fair amount of tools are recovered if they have the serial number.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

pee on 'em.

works every time. 'course you'll never pick 'em up again either but....that's how we grow our tool collections...

Good luck Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Do you have a Dremel tool? They have a bit that is designed for engraving. You can write your name, or whatever if you'd like.

OTOH, does a thief stop to check for marks? Heck no, but it may help with recovery if the junkie is caught with the goods. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

I have them all recorded in a inventory database, complete with serial numbers and model numbers. However, I don't like the scribed markings. It seems like the inscribed tools I have bought at auctions all seem to have rust around the markings. Instead of loaning tools, put up a sign to the effect that tool rental is "$xx per hour". harrym

Reply to
HarryM

I used to teach so every tool I own is marked. As someone commented it only keeps the honest folks from taking something but strangely tools did stop getting misplaced once I started marking.

One bit of advice. Never lead to a relative you'll never see it again.

Also mircostamp.com makes custom marking stamps. If your gonna engrave a number of tootls might be helpful.

Amy

===================================================== For great deals on fabulous jewelry and gifts check out

AM Pittman

It can help you get them back if they're recovered.

Most of my tools were owned by other people, some by several generations of other people. Each set of initials adds historic value.

Reply to
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

If you already have the serial, you have all you need. A munged or missing serial is obvious, an oddball mark somewhere is an oddball mark.

Always puzzled me that items with their own serial # are remarked, which marks are often removed, then remarked, with institutional property numbers. Isn't a serial # supposed to be unique?

Never made any difference when I asked that question at reinventory time when I had to put new labels over old, but it should have.

Reply to
George

The local PD says at least one digit (0 - 9) is required to make an engraved identifier "valid" (i.e. Bruce7). Kinda like an MSN user name... I think it has something to do with how stolen stuff. gets listed in a computer somewhere.

-Bruce

Jeff Cochran wrote:

Reply to
Bruce Rowen

Slime balls could also care less if that 20% of real value tool has someone elses name on it.

I think a bill of sale can deal with my name or yours on something dealt off.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Theft prevention? Just put some "Craftsman" stickers on 'em!

Reply to
todd1814

Yeah, but you should hear what the guys are saying about you...!

;-))

Reply to
Dan Dresner

Institutional number have nothing to do with the serial number. Most companies don't care about the serial number, but do care that the item was purchased on a given date and depreciated accordingly.

It is also important when tooling is lent (and stored) to another shop for work. In the case of a bankruptcy, easily identified tooling with a company stamp will be released more readily than those not marked. You need a court order to get your property back. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

So why bother assigning another number? The databases I've seen have included the serial as well as the property number. How you track it must merely be unique. Personally, I think it's because folks got in the habit of sequential property numbers back in the Ashton-Tate days - couldn't have a multi-field index.

Reply to
George

Typical UK practice for stolen property marking is to mark with your postcode (and maybe house number). Police will usually manage to return such items, and second-hand dealers are more suspicious about buying them (for the police sometimes trawl the shops for marked goods).

I use my parent's postcode, for I'm likely to move house a lot more often than they do.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

What do you do when you move out of state?

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Well, DUH!

Obviously you buy new toolz!