Marking your tools/territory

Page 1 of 2
Do you and, if so, how do you folks mark tools with your name?
Thinking of everything from theft prevention and recovery to aiding the absent-minded relative that borrowed a tool. Do you engrave your names on the tools? Do you scribe it with permanent marker? Or do you not mark your tools at all?
Already recorded the serial numbers - just thinking I should go one step further and attach my surname to each tool.
thanks!
"tnfkajs" writes: .

Marking tools, like locks, keep honest people honest.
Thieves could care less if something is marked.
--
Lew

Lew Hodgett wrote:

It can help you get them back if they're recovered.
Most of my tools were owned by other people, some by several generations of other people. Each set of initials adds historic value.
If you already have the serial, you have all you need. A munged or missing serial is obvious, an oddball mark somewhere is an oddball mark.
Always puzzled me that items with their own serial # are remarked, which marks are often removed, then remarked, with institutional property numbers. Isn't a serial # supposed to be unique?
Never made any difference when I asked that question at reinventory time when I had to put new labels over old, but it should have.

Institutional number have nothing to do with the serial number. Most companies don't care about the serial number, but do care that the item was purchased on a given date and depreciated accordingly.
It is also important when tooling is lent (and stored) to another shop for work. In the case of a bankruptcy, easily identified tooling with a company stamp will be released more readily than those not marked. You need a court order to get your property back. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
So why bother assigning another number? The databases I've seen have included the serial as well as the property number. How you track it must merely be unique. Personally, I think it's because folks got in the habit of sequential property numbers back in the Ashton-Tate days - couldn't have a multi-field index.
wrote in message

Maybe that model sold over 1.1 million?
Wes