Marking the tools I make

Page 2 of 2

You can have a metal stamp made it's a pretty common item to have done custom. I think Centaur forge still offers the service. These stamps are applied to the steel cold so you would want them back fronm the hardened parts anyway
On many antique tools I service for timber framers I found it was common to put a makers mark at the end of the good inlaid steel or the end of the heat treated zone.
You could also acid etch with a rubber stamp and either apply mask with the stamp or etchant with the stamp. But keep the acid mix away from your shop proper because the fumes make things rust.
Get real fancy and engrave a signature.
Damned if i know wrote:

If you are selling at the high end of the market, the method I used might be of interest to make a most ellegant mark.
Back in the early 60's when I was a grad student, we wanted an interesting and different birthday present for my mother in law but had the usual grad student bugetary constraints. We bought a pair of quality sewing scissors. I dismanteled them and coated one blade with Kodak photo resist. I then carefully placed the word MOR (Danish for mother) on the dried KPR with black Letraset, exposed this to UV for several minutes and developed the image with KPR Developer. I then placed a little puddle of Ferric Chloride solution (printed circuit board etch - Radio Shack have it) on the area and let it work for a few minutes. I then rinsed it thouroughly with water and Gold plated it through the resist. I built up my own brush plating setup but today you can buy the stuff from http://www.caswellplating.com/nsindex.htm The result was the word MOR inlaided in Gold on the stainless steel blade.
She had those scissors 'til she died and my wife inherited them - none of the family would DARE walk off with them!
Modifying the above to use one of the newer resisits and electro-etching before the gold plate might make things easier. I haven't tried that yet. Very little gold is used so cost shouldn't be a significant factor.
Ted