Market for old Craftsman Table Saw

Is there any marketplace for an old Craftsman table saw other than ebay?

I have one from about 1955 that I inherited and have used for years. I've been planning to upgrade and the motor seems to have burned out over the weekend, so the time has come. I wouldn't call it an antique, but I'm wondering if there are any forums to sell these old saws to people who are interested in rebuilding them or using them for parts or something. Thanks for any info

Reply to
Mark Leininger

Mark Leininger asks:

If you find one, let me know. I've got a good friend who has 3 old Craftsman saws he'd like to sell to make space, but so far all offers have been below the value of the motors...IIRC, he has put new or newer motors on 2 of them. I think he plans to keep the '29 patent, with the engine turned panel, but otherwise, a couple sales will make him smile.

Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

Mark: Google on "Old woodworking machines" Our very own Keith Bohn (UnisawA100) is into this heavily, so you could also ping him through this newsgroup.

Bob Schmall

Reply to
Bob Schmall

You could always junk eveything but the cast iron top and convert it into a router table. I did this for my brother and it works very nicely.

Dave

TeamCasa

There's a classified section on oldwwmachines.com, if not the whole saw maybe parts like the table extensions would be in demand.

David

Reply to
Bannerstone

Mark Leininger wrote in news:cbpbst$mui$ snipped-for-privacy@info4.fnal.gov:

Check in your area for a woodworkers club, or an adult education-type program. There are often folks associated with them, looking for machines they can rebuild, upgrade, or get into inexpensively.

The thing to remember is that the competition, pricewise, is with the shiny, new, probably much less hassle, maybe not as well made, new machines sold at Sears or the BORG. What you want to find is someone who appreciates how they used to be made, and is willing to spend some time on putting one back together better than new.

Those folks are out there, but they are relatively scarce. Once you find one, they often turn out to be good friends to have around.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Reply to
Wilson

Forgive my ignorance but what would these saws sell for?

Reply to
slipslidinaway

I sold mine last weekend for $90 and was quite happy to get that.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

slipslidinaway asks:

Well, see, that's the problem. They won't sell for $75, which is the offer, and no one will offer $150 or $175, which is, I think, what he wants.

Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

My 60's Sears saw motor quite a while back, just hummed, I took it to an electric motor shop and they blew the dust out of the contacts and it has worked fine ever since. Have you checked the contacts? They might have a used motor for cheap. Scott

Reply to
vmtw

My 60's Sears saw motor quite a while back, just hummed, I took it to an electric motor shop and they blew the dust out of the contacts and it has worked fine ever since. Have you checked the contacts? They might have a used motor for cheap. Scott

Reply to
vmtw

On 29 Jun 2004 09:08:24 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) calmly ranted:

Remind him that the prices paid for all his equipment, supplies, and their maintenance are "sunk costs". He'll never get that price back out of them, so any money he makes selling them is pure profit.

A used motor isn't worth the price of a new one, either.

And a Crapsman, by any other name, would still stink as sweet.

LJ, who buys cheap and sells elevated whenever possible.

------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there. -

Website Application Programming -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Dave - I am trying to dispose of a 70's vintage Craftsman TS myself and the router table idea crossed my mind. My first thought was the insert shape/size did not seem workable. Could you describe, in general, how you did the conversion? Does it require machining?

Any Pics?

Ron Brogan

Reply to
RonB

I'm not about to remind him. When I have something for sale, I hand it to him to sell. He invariably gets more for it than I can. He may have to keep the saws around longer than you or I would like, but eventually he'll get his price or very close to it. As far as motors go, when you pay $100 for a used motor, it is not automatically worth $50 afterwards.

He can wait. He doesn't like to wait.

Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

Ron, Yes, there is a small amount of machining involved. I had a local machine shop cut a hole in the top so a router Mast-R-Lift (Rockler) would drop in. Some additional support was added underneath by using some 2"x1/4" aluminum angle. Attached the top to a homemade stand and wha-la! The whole project, minus the cost of the Mast-R-Lift, was under a $100.00. I'll ask my brother to take some pictures and email them to me.

Dave

TeamCasa

Thanks - I replaced my old Craftsman a couple of years ago with a cabinet saw and put it in storage. Thought my son would want it and he got a better offer. Even with a bad motor, I kinda hate to pitch it.

Reply to
RonB

Yes - and remember if you give it to a school or non-profit, it can be used as a donation at tax time.

.....let's see a thirty year old Craftsman table saw should be worth around $12,000?

"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet" Mark Leininger wrote in news:cbpbst$mui$ snipped-for-privacy@info4.fnal.gov:

Reply to
RonB