Marc Spagnuolo - The Money Whisperer!

Page 3 of 3
Larry,

Ideally the ends and holes should be treated, but in normal use sill plates shouldn't be exposed to moisture anyway. I install a plastic sill sealer which not only seals the small gaps between the sill and concrete, but acts as a moisture barrier as well. Even without the sill sealer, the point of contact is usually the flat treated surfaces, not the ends. Not to mention, the sill should be covered and protected by the sheathing and siding anyway and shouldn't be exposed to moisture in normal use. If moisture does get in, you're more likely to have rotted siding and/or floor joists.
For vertical applications such as deck posts where the cut end is the contact point, I like to use metal post bases that elevate the wood off the foundation an inch or so (and allow good anchoring for the post). I usually put my cut end on top, so the factory treated end is on the bottom.

Pressure treated lumber comes with different exposure ratings, depending on it's intended use. The color only reflects the chemicals used to treat the wood.
Around here the brown "Wolmanized" lumber is only surface treated for light outdoor use on decks and that sort of thing.
Pressure treated wood should be "rated for ground contact" if you're going to use it for sill plates or burying it in the ground (i.e. fence posts). You have to read the tags on the lumber to be sure, but generally the ground contact lumber has evenly spaced holes or perforations where the treatment is injected deeper into the wood.
Anthony Watson Mountain Software www.mountain-software.com
On 11/7/2012 9:08 AM, HerHusband wrote:

Yep ... and "best practices" extend to much more than one issue alone.
Use of a sill seal is _most_ important in sill plates ... and that, along with using AWPA U1 "certified for the purpose" material makes cutting painted ends a non issue for most residential framing purposes where PT is required by code.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 11/4/2012 5:52 PM, Wood Butcher wrote:

I suspect that a majority of the equipment is donated. The building could be out of his pocket and or investors pockets. OR his wife's pockets, She is seen often on one of the major TV news networks. She is probably more recognized on TC than he is on his blog.
Did you notice the size of his back yard???? And the forever cinder block fence/wall around the compound???
On 11/4/2012 5:52 PM, Wood Butcher wrote:

Timing is everything ... just ask Brian G. hereabouts. :)
Marc was apparently mentored heavily by David J. Marks ... while that kind of clout behind you, along with an obvious talent in woodworking and promoting your endeavors in a personable way, won't guarantee success, there can indeed be "riches in niches", providing you get in on the ground floor.
At this point, and IMNSHO, there are just too damn many of these woodworking podcasts, and they are getting more ho hum as a result (and I specifically exclude Brian from that remark as the obvious intelligence he brings to the party sets him apart from the many).
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 11/5/2012 8:23 AM, Swingman wrote:

There are a lot of so called experts doing their pod casts, hell many of them are on TV. Including the easy to forget his name guy that insisted on calling his SCMS a radial arm saw. Something Johnson IIRC.
Agreed, Bryan brings a different angle, more of a "Shop Notes" type of pod cast vs. a relatively new to wood working person trying to teach.
On 11/5/2012 9:05 AM, Leon wrote:

Learning woodworking from most twenty to mid thirty somethings is like practicing self-taught brain surgery ... good luck with that. ;)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On Monday, November 5, 2012 10:05:57 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I never thought of my show that way (Shopnotes), but I can see where you're coming from.
I'm open to suggestions if anyone has them. Less talking - more explanation - more project related shows - shave more often - lose a few pounds...
On 11/5/2012 8:13 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Yea, I'm not a fan, I think his work is just ok.. not great. I used to think David Marks was pretty good when I could catch him. I only saw about 5 or 6 of his episodes.
Mark is just well spoken... but mostly too many words.. not enough talent.
On 11/5/2012 9:23 AM, Swingman wrote:

On Monday, November 5, 2012 9:23:49 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

Thank you Swing!

Let's see, someone who is figured out a way of making money doing something he loves to do and that's wrong? (the Money Whisper title to the email). I don't know Marc other then through his podcasts, but he's still around and keeps doing them. Must mean something.
I suspect that the shop was funded through his company and therefore a capital expense.
Everyone thought that Norm used too many large power tools, but people turned in to the show every week. Marc's prowess with furniture building is growing. The neat thing is that he comes across like a regular guy. I saw him in person a couple of weeks ago and he just seemed to be just like one of us.
I wish Marc all the luck. He's understood that the Internet is where it's at. Not TV. In my area, there is no PBS station out of 4, that show "Rough Cut" anymore.
MJ

Save that whine for your ceramics class, pink boy. The only thing "that's wrong" is your reading comprehension and the fact you don't know an"email" from a Usenet post.
Let me guess, an Obama voter right?
--- ---