Maple vs Birch

Page 2 of 2

wrote: >I am interested in making a new fence for my

in
such
even
*must*
order it

Or you

box
I'm getting corn-fused here. Both big box orange and blue stores sell birch veneer plywood. The core is, well I don't know what it is, but its certainly not birch or even another hardwood for that matter. Since the prices for the birch-oak-maple veneer plywoods at the borgs are pretty close together, and the original post said that the maple ply cost twice as much as the birch ply, are we talking about the exact same plywood here? I mean, are they selling solid birch plywood and solid maple plywood in CAN?

Mark Howell wrote:

Just a word from the originator of this thread:
I was talking about solid birch 1X6 stock compared to solid maple 1X6 stock. I agree with everything you say about big box plywood versus baltic birch plywood but that was not what I was asking about. Neverless it's all very informative and I appreciate all your responses.
Best Regards, Jack Fearnley
Jack Fearnley wrote:

You must be talking about s4s all right... I checked Century Mill on 4/4 and 6/4 Maple vs birch - very close in price.
So assuming an 8 ft board 6* 5.05 = 30.30 6* 6.89 = 41.34
Birch 6/4 5.05 a bd ft Hard Maple 6.89 a bd ft.
http://www.centurymill.com/domestic.html
So with a bandsaw to use -- know what I would do -- buy maple or 8 ft of birch -- depends on how nice the wood is I guess. :-)
I like them both. :-)
--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Thanks for clearing that up, and sorry for my mistaken assumption -- but I still think you're better off with Baltic birch ply than with solid wood of either species. :-)