Maple shorts

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, my favorite family-owned wood shop closed up shop recently - big shame. As a result, I am struggling to find a source for some wood to produce this year's stack of cutting boards before Christmas.

I am wondering if you anyone can give me a lead on some soft maple shorts. I am looking for 4/4 clear pieces about 24" in length and at least 2" wide. I would like to buy about 20 bf if possible and I think that amount could be sent via UPS since it should be a hair under 75#. Anyone have any great ideas which will save me from either making a 200-mile (round trip) drive or going to the borg?

Thanks in advance!

Ben Shakman Springfield, IL

For those old-timers around the 'wreck, I plan to get back into the shop for real after I complete grad school this coming spring and hope to find the time to follow this newsgroup again.

Reply to
majshakman

I would think Springfield, IL would have plenty of hardwood dealers. Since you're needing shorts, ask about #1 common, as you can cut around defects. Also check for flooring mills, as they often sell shorts.

Either should be far cheaper than FAS wood.

Good luck!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Unfortunately, wood purveyors are in short supply around here these days. The family-run places have gone out of business and the national chains are not coming any closer than 90 miles away. A dozen years ago I had plenty of local choices but times have changed.

Reply to
majshakman

Ed Carter Lumber and Bailey Hardwoods are out of business?

Reply to
Doug Miller

I'm not sure about Ed Carter, but Carter Bros. focuses on the construction trade and Bailey insists they only sell finished products these days. I managed to buy a few boards from them years ago, but had no luck this time around. I'll try the Ed Carter route on Monday...

Reply to
majshakman

Hello there,

I prefer Walnut shorts.

Hides the stains.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

Now THAT'S the answer I expected from one of y'all! LOL Tom

Reply to
Tom Bunetta

Soft Maple?

All the commercial makers (and me) make these boards traditi> Hi everyone,

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Actually, he did. Springfield, IL, IIRC.

todd

Reply to
todd