Maple bowling lane secret

I'm building an L-shaped bar and have used maple plywood for the sides. I'm looking to get the maple to look like they do on a bowling lane (minus the slats of course). My grandfather owned 2 bowling alleys back in the 60s and I think he used to say that they used many coats of lacquer to get the look. Does this sound right or is there another way that is better to achieve the bowling lane look?
On 27 Dec 2003 11:03:29 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@cbpu.com (SKIDOG) Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

Oil...lots and lots of oil. there is no lacquer on a bowling lane, just bare wood with plenty of oil on it
2 part epoxy system, pour it on and squeege it around, put masking tape on the underside so you can remove any that drips and hardens. You can beat on it after with a hammer very resilliant to marks and abrasions.I have seen this done before with pictures sealed under the finish,looked pretty good.

On 27 Dec 2003 11:03:29 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@cbpu.com (SKIDOG) wrote:

snip
Can't say I've ever seen an L shaped bowling lane...

heck, the way I bowl it'd probably improve my score...     Bridger