manual drill press

well ... if that's what it takes to keep a new life going, then you are justified.

Many congrats by the way

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

A good tablesaw blade can rip or crosscut a piece of wood and leave an edge so smooth that it shines. I've never seen a handsaw that could.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Why? Well, it's a specialty application, but I spent a week one summer working for a blacksmith. We were set up in the artisan's area of a medieval re-enactment camp. The nearest electrical feed was several miles away.

I met more interesting artisans that week, because we had the antique drill press. I helped drill hardwood, green wood, softwoods, four different kinds of metal, bone, and I don't know what-all.

There's nothing more popular than a man with a manual drill press in the off-grid desert.

The jeweler was particularly entertaining.

"So, how far down does your chuck go?"

"I think it goes to zero."

"Let's try it."

It was an amazing picture. Large, bulky 19th century gearbox. Huge chuck. Teeny, tiny carbide bit, carefully cranked.

But how often do you need drill-press in the middle of the woods, eh?

Will

Reply to
Bill McNutt

That sounds like a great experience, and I'd love to see that drill too.

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Well it seems you guys are right ... I had a small DP packed in it's original box in my closet, el cheapo but I got it out, set it up and it is very quiet! I was surprised and pleased with that. It's only got about a 4" swing area and a 38mm wide qill but it should be perfect. It might take a mortising attachment but the max distance, nose to table, is 6.8", without the chuck. Minor.

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

snippytisnip

Hey! You attended a *Medival re-enactment camp* with a "19th century" manual drill press!!!!???? A bit anachronistic, don't cha think? :-)

Layne

Reply to
Layne

Heh. Guilty.

It was a very informal gathering. As long as we were setting stuff on fire and then hitting it with hammers, they were happy.

Bill

Reply to
Bill McNutt