mantelpiece design

I'm recovering an old painted brick fireplace with wood.

Stage one is the mantelpiece and I'm wondering about the design. If I had to pick a style I guess I'd say "Arts and Crafts" though I'm no design expert ... hence my question.

I'm looking at which way to place the trim and where to overlap/join/mitre meet at the corners.

I'm wondering what looks more pleasing to the eye since, after drawing it too many times, I've lost all perspective on what is the usual way of doing things (if there is one).

If you have a moment, have a look here at the possibles:

give me your opinions.

Thanks.

Reply to
Fzak!

I vote for the top one, though I can't put my finger on why.

FWIW, option 1 creates the illusion of a longer mantle, option 2 creates the illusion of a taller mantle.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Mario Rodriguez did an Arts and Crafts mantel in FWW awhile back. Issue 156 is bouncing around in my head. I liked and intend to build it this year, hopefully.

Reply to
Tom Cavanagh

"Tom Cavanagh" wrote in news:Qmldg.93$ snipped-for-privacy@fe09.lga:

In fact, he did a whole book, from Taunton, on mantels. I did one for my dad's place, and it turned out well.

The one I want to do at our house involves painting brick. My wife is resisting the idea.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Hmmm, I wonder if that's the book I had out from the library. I'll check it out -- and FWW. Thanks for the suggestions.

Design is the hardest part of the process for me in some respects.

-
Reply to
Fzak!