Man-dar hit in Boulder

Ok, so I'm North of Denver on business this week and have a few hours to kill before my flight home. My coworker and I decide to drive to Boulder. We heard it was picturesque and needed to grab some lunch anyway.

Just driving around looking for city center. Get into an area that looks interesting, and turn into the first big lot to park and then walk around. Get out of the car, turn around and see:

McGuckin's Hardware: World's biggest hardware selection.

The man-dar hits again! The place was pretty awesome. Like an old time hardware store on Steroids. Could've killed the whole day there. They probably had as much woodworking stuff as Woodcraft (OK, I know that's not setting the bar real high...), plus tons of other tools and all the plumbing, electrical, hardware, etc. you could want. Not real heavy on power tools, but hand tools galore.

Couple of examples: They probably had 200 hammers, including the good stuff, like Vaughan (sp?). You know how you go into the Borg after some heat shrink tubing and they have a little pack of assorted size 6 inch pieces, all black. McGuckin's had probably 15 colors, each in a bunch of sizes and lengths. I saw a bunch of Veritas stuff, Japanese saws, and on and on. The most amazing thing to me, was the number of people working there. It seemed like there must have been a hundred! I'll bet 20 people asked me if they could help me find something in the hour I was able to spend there.

Stop in if you get to Boulder.

Here's the web site, but it doesn't come close to doing the store justice.

this is old news to this group, but thought I'd pass it on.

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

I wakled into an Ace hardware store in Fort Myers, Fl. There was a "greeter" there to ask me if I needed help finding something. I told him what I needed and he went with me to make sure I found it. I said thank you. He walked away and went back to the front to help the next customer. Not at all like the BORG.

Reply to
Ed Ahern

You would have liked the old store even more. They always had an extremely eclectic array of goods, but they never repriced old stock. If you went in for a sledge hammer, locals knew to dig to the back to see if any had older price tags.

Do they still have the kegs of horseshoes?

Reply to
DanG

This thread doesn't qualify as a love fest yet but I would like to add : Jerry's in Eugene, OR. It's a big independent home center but nothing like I have ever experienced at any Borg. Unbeliveably helpful and KNOWLEDGEABLE people.

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

If you are in the Kansas City area, check Strauser's Hardware (spelling may be wrong), located on the SW Boulevard. Probably not as cool at McGuckin Hardware, but very terrific nonetheless.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Didn't see them, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were there somewhere. I saw the pet/livestock section but didn't get to check it out. Wish I would have had more time....

Thanks to the other posters for their favorites...I travel a fair bit, so I'm keeping a list.

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Wink's in Portland, OR -

Falk Ace Hardware in Beaverton, OR

Hardwicks in Seattle, WA

I have dropped hundreds of dollars in all three and highly recommend them. My first choice is Hardwicks, but I don't get to Seattle often enough so I have not spent as much there.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

And also in Oregon, Robnett's in Corvallis. Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Montgomery