Man am I grumpy.

Now that the storm has hit, I have time to build, but not enough power from my generator.

its a 4300 watt run 6200 max peak

I turned on the tablesaw and it did not have enough power to spin all the way up.

The band saw did. Surprising since my tablesaw is only 1.5 hp

I guess with lights and electronics in idle mode.. And heat... I don't have enough left to power all my shop stuff. Plus this is a ranch and a long electrical run... really long.

I am freaking grumpy... Damn I am biting my wife's head off.. like a PMS bitch...

why can't the time and money (and now power) ever come together???

I'll see what I can do with the bandsaw and hand stuff. Pretty sure I can still build... but hand planing every edge.. I don't think my jointer will power up...... nah... not a chance.

Reply to
tiredofspam

I feel for you. About 2008 we had a big windstorm in Western Wa. and where I am we went almost 8 days without power. Take coffee donuts and BBQ to the workers, appreciation helps. At the time I had a 4K continuous duty gen set. Good for the normal power outage but not for long term. The biggest problem was it only ran about 3 hours before you had to fuel it, and I needed to keep the hot tub from freezing. I had to rewire the hot water tank so only one element worked. I upgraded to a 12KW unit that runs 7-8 hours per fill up and has an auto idle, also its much quieter too. It will run a unisaw, or the hot tub. I also learned it helps to have about 20 gallons of fuel on hand. Hope you get your power back soon.

Mike M

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

What does the auto idle do? I am using power constantly for lights or computer. So when idling will it produce enough power?

I am thinking about a big unit. According to some of the guys here on the rec there's no global warming. But I live right by the Delaware River. we had 3 100 year floods in under 2 years. This storm on top of Irene and the Halloween snowstorm last year has made me think I underpowered my generator severely. In the last 12 years the frequency of use is rising drastically. I want water and hot water... I'm thinking

12k might just be the ticket, or a little more to run some other things. 12k would just get me water and hot water.. both are 30amp 220... so maybe a 18k unit working off propane...

Reply to
tiredofspam

A little tip for users of eng-gen sets.

Change the oil every 40 hours of operation.

Use SAE-30, non-detergent.

The above from the owner of a small engine service center.

Don't do the above, you wear out the connecting rod bearing(s).

I learned this the hard way.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Or get a honda or Generac or similar unit with an oil filter and you can pretty well double the change interval. 40 hours is equivalent to a car running about 2400 miles at 60MPH .

Reply to
clare

I have a generac... but it does not have an Oil filter.... it's only 10hp...

Does non-deg save the engine??? I use non-detergent in my hydraulic drive on my Simplicity tractor because it requires it... I always thought the detergent kept the varnishing down... Which caused buildup and gunk...

Reply to
tiredofspam

------------------------------------------------------- I ask the same question about detergent v. non-detergent.

As I remember, if you change the oil at 40 hours, you eliminate problems before they have a chance to develop.

I was using a standard 10 HP contractor's unit, 6-8 hours/day, 6 days/week.

I burned the first one in less than a year.

I sold the next one when finished which was about 2 years.

I didn't bother to analyze the situation, was simply was too busy buliding a boat.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

May apply to some make/models such as those using B&S flathead engines but Honda for instance specified 10W30 API service SJ oil. Best to check manufacturer's specs, not use a blanket recommendation.

Reply to
Larry W

Actually, detergent keeps trash in the oil so the filter can grab it. Those systems without a filter and rely on the oil tank to take it - non-detergent.

On lathes and tools we want non-detergent. I don't want metal chips to keep hitting something. I want it to settle to the lower level.

Mart> I have a generac... but it does not have an Oil filter.... it's only > 10hp... >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I had a 5.5HP Generac engine and it had a filter. The 8000 Va Generac generators currently on sale at TSC have a filter. You must have the cheapest consumer grade generac made.

Reply to
clare

My Generator was bought in 1999 when I moved in to this house. Most generators had no filters at that point.

So having the cheapest consumer generator made ??? I don't think so. I just dug out my manual, turns out I was wrong about the ratings. Its

5000 run 6250 peak. Most generators today have boots over their outlets.. Many now have electric start... many you have to buy wheel kits... Mine does not, it's an all weather generator, It's a basic generator... Contractor grade at the time ... no frills, just runs. Never had a problem starting it aside from the heavy pull required. If I weren't trying to back feed and run over 100 feet of house wiring, I'm sure my tablesaw would run fine.

I'm glad for your little 5.5 hp engine...

Reply to
tiredofspam

Auto Idle is good if your just running loads that cycle. One 25 watt bulb will kick it up. The propane is good, when we had the long outage I always had to haul fuel from out of the area. I was still working then and ran a bucket truck all over w. wa. so it wasn't difficult to get fuel.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

For hot water, converting the water heater to natural gas (or propane) would be cheaper.

Reply to
HeyBub

----------------------------------------------------- "Larry W" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------ What does Honda say about oil change frequency which is what the owner of a small engine service center was concerned about?

10W30 provides low viscosity in cold climes during winter months.

Wonder if that was reason for suggesting it?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Totally clueless.