Mammoth ivory

Assuming (correctly?) that mammoth ivory can be purchased legally online, anyone know of an updated online supplier (shipping overseas)? I need a few bits for decorating some inlays. Maybe someone who purchased more than he needs i swilling to ship some bits? And to conclude: do I treat it with the regular tools or will I dull the tools quickly? Thanks and have a good one, Max

Reply to
zax63

Looking around the knifemakers might turn some up - you could try

You need to work it with traditional ivory working tools. If you can find a copy, try something Victorian like a reprint of Holzappfell's "Ornamental Turning".

It won't dull the tools especially fast, but it's hard going with hand tools and doesn't handle at all like wood. Wood is fibrous and most are our cutting tools make use of this. It's also elastic, so a knife-like separatng cut will get you through things, but ivory needs that whole kerf to be scraped out (so rip teeeth not crosscuts).

Ivory handles like a hard, brittle plastic and generally needs more of a scraping action. For hand-carving, try using metal engraver's gravers, not chisels and gouges. To saw it, I suggest a fine-tooth narrow-kerf saw like a gent's saw, or even a hacksaw (huge kerf though), rather than a tenon saw. Hard waxes are good for finishing.

To identify real mammoth, look at the Schreger patterns

just love that graph)

BTW - you might want a _good_ respirator too. Working ivory stinks !

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
Wilson Lamb

try-

Dan Valleskey

That's funny!

Reply to
Eric Ryder

ivory is harder than wood, but the grain is so tight and the absence of grit make it a joy to work. it doesn't dull the tools particularly, but the tools do need to be very sharp.

Reply to
bridger

Thu, Dec 2, 2004, 1:35am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com claims: I need a few bits for decorating some inlays.

Considered vegetable ivory?

JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

- Dr Seuss

Reply to
J T

we don't need a fart update, just tell us when he dies..

Reply to
mac davis

Reply to
res055a5

I've done some work with tagua nut vegetable ivory and it was a most irritating material. The nuts split with a central crack as they dry. It's great if you want a small piece, or even a ring, but there's no way to get a solid piece out of one.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

try

or

Joe Gorman

Thanks Will. Can you carve out some steak while you're at it? ; )

Reply to
Max63