Makita service experience

After getting back to Toronto with all of my Amazon goodies, I realized that one of the batteries' clips had been broken in shipping (as was one of the partitions in the case). I called Makita in Toronto and they said bring it over. Unfortunately, my new battery was made in China and does not use the Philipps screws that the 2.6A 18V Japanese manufactued ones use. Mine has a torx screw with protusion in the centre that's designed to go in a hole in torx screwdriver. And they didn't have this screwdriver at Makita Canada :-(. They gladly gave me a replacement battery clip though.
Drilling a hole in the end of mine was an abject failure. They're used in the auto insustry (according to very helpful person at HD) so I'm off to my car repair guy tomorrow and hope he has one.
Is there a name for this other than g.d.torx?
Nigel
Nigel Burnett wrote:

Security torx, either of the borgs sells 1/4" hex bits with them.
Nigel Burnett wrote:

Security Torx.
--
-- Steve

Nigel Burnett wrote:

A little trick to try - using a small flat head screwdriver, insert the tip into the screw head next to the pin and give it a twist. usually the metal pin in the centre of the screw head will break of allowing an ordinary torx driver to be used.
Waldo
Sears has them. They are included with a Security screw driver bit set.

Swing by your local locksmith. He might have a set of those driver bits. Once in a while you can get just the right size screwdriver in and coax these buggers out but try the locksmith first.
--

Roger Shoaf

Harbor Freight has a 100 piece security bit set for $7. Item #91310
Thanks for all the responses. I'd already checked HD and CdnTire. Helpful staff knew about them but neither carry it. And neither seemed intereseted in doing so.
Little bits in the middle are too strong to snap off. Friend with a little metal lathe is going to (try to) drill a hole in one of my t15 bits. Looks like 1/16th will do it. Fiendishly clever plastic case is so close to the head that it is impossible to grip with decent pliers. First time I've been thwarted in taking something apart for a long time.
At least I know the name of the thing now -
ciao Nigel
Go to any of your local Princess auto stores and buy a set of security bits they come in a little red plastic case and have all kinds of tamper proof bits for those PITA screws. I have a set and they have saved my ass many times I think they are only about 5 or 6 bucks for about 20 different bit well worth having even if you only use once.
Chris Melanson

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 17:13:19 GMT, "Chris Melanson"
quite right... these are the cheap ones... the burglars use the higher priced, better quality sets..

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing