Makita router clone *****

A friend of mine and I own the same Makita router. A couple of days ago he called for me to go to his place to look at something he bought. It was a KING variable speed 3 1/4 hp router in a nice case that came with 3 collets, spare brushes, a 1/2" straight bit, guide fence, edge guide, and adjust chute.

We put the Makita next to it and whoever reverse engineered the KING was GOOD, because they were identical. We plugged them in - started them up one by one and the only difference in start and stop was the Makita had an electric brake and jerked on stopping, whereas the KING slowed normally. The real plus was that the clone had the VS feature. Also, you can interchange the plates/guides between the two.

Then, the super-plus came when he told me he paid just $119.00 CAN for it!!!! In fact, the dealer gave him another 10 bucks off. It has a two year warranty to boot, so even if it gives out within that time it's replaced or fixed. This is too good a spare to pass up. I went to the dealer next morning and picked one up, I've tried it and it works fine.....As a spare or standby how can anyone go wrong at that price and with those features!

Keith

Reply to
Salmo

'cept the King wobbles on the posts as it is plunged into the work. It is impossible to plunge a 1/2" bit straight down without it becoming a

9/16 x 5/8 oval. Tried it, didn't work, exchanged it, same story, money back. I'd pay 50 bucks more if the same router was a fixed base because the motor runs very smooth and seems plenty powerful. Too bad, really.
Reply to
Robatoy

I am using it as a fixed base router -- in a table. Seems to be fine. I noticed that the plunge action was a little iffy -- and catchy as well.

Reply to
WillR

I think if you took the 2 units apart you would see differences that would probably indicate a longer life expectancy for the Makita.

Reply to
Leon

Re taking it apart and comparing...I don't doubt that. Give the reverse engineer credit though, he/she was pretty good...wish I could duplicate like that :O)

Keith

Reply to
Salmo