Makita Replacement Battery

Hello all,
I have multiple Makita tools, all of which use the 9.6V, 9000 battery. I know that it is just 8 sub c cells all stacked inside a housing. Is there anything that would prevent me from cracking open the housing and replacing the batteries? They are aging a bit and not providing much life. Would replacing them with Ni-Mh cells confuse the charger?
Thanks! Justin
Justin wrote:

Lack of a soldering iron, probably.

No, but it might ruin the batteries. IIRC, NiMH and NiCAD use very different voltage and amps when charging. Stick with the NiCADs...
************************************ Chris Merrill snipped-for-privacy@christophermerrillZZZ.net (remove the ZZZ to contact me) ************************************
That case is made to close tolerance and thermally sealed; I believe that was with the intention of preventing what you're trying to do. Replacements at $30 each make it not worth my trouble, as I get about 3-5 years per set.
You _can_ get the NiMH batteries and charger to use with the tool, but charging rates and feedback circuitry are too different to cross over.

I had the same problem with my old Makita. Both batteries no longer took a charge at nearly the same time. If I was going to replace one, I had to replace both. I took one of the batteries apart to try what you suggested. I messed around with it for a while and finally opted to pitch it all. New drills are cheaper than the two replacement batteries. I opted to get a 18v in its place, for not much more money. It's been worth it to not have the agravation.
-- Tim -------- See my page @ http://www.wood-workers.com/users/timv/ (seriously needs updating)
Justin wrote:

I actually did this to my dewalt batteries a month ago. The soldering was a PITA because of the connections. I had to get the right size cells at a battery store but they work like new now.
TroyD
Do you have a Lowe's near by? I looked at their Makita 9.6V batteries and they wanted $33.80 each. Right around the corner they had a Makita 9.6V drill kit (drill, case, charger and two batteries) for $69.00. It seemed to me like $1.40 for a drill, case, charger was a good deal.
Thanks for the advice :-) The drill is not as powerful as the fancy new ones anyway, maybe it is time for a replacement as you suggested.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (hai-chuan, tung) wrote in message

Justin wrote:

After picking up a "fancy new" 18V drill...I decided a 12V Makita was plenty. I have not been dissapointed.
However, I must admit that I have a 1/2" Milwaukee that I pull out for big jobs. Usually, it is more of a logevity issue, rather than power...such as 170 1/2"dia holes I drilled in oak this weekend.
--
Chris Merrill