makita parts interchange

I have a Makita Cordless Drill Model 9012HD. I doesn't have the variable speed switch and is just an on/off/reverse switch type drill w/two speed settings
I've been told that the variable speed switch from another model Makita drill(that looks the same externally) can by installed therby making it a variable speed drill.
Does anyone have any info or experience that would support this? The switches for these drills are only about $12 so it would be worth it to me..
Thanks...
Feel free to email me at snipped-for-privacy@linearrow.com
I'm sorry - it's the 6012HD not 9012HD - thanks!