Makita or Festool

This may sound like a follish question, but, I am looking to buy a nice lightweight and compact 18V driver. I currently have a 14.4V Hitachi, a 18V Hitachi, a14.4V Dewalt and a 18V Firestorm. I find my self using the 14.4V drivers all the time and I think it is based on the weight and balance.

I am looking at and comparing the Festool Ni-Cad Cordless Drill Model C12 and the Makita 18V Cordless LXT Lithium-Ion 1/2" Driver Drill. Of these 2 drivers, outside of price, which is truly the better tool. The Makita is $209 and the Festool is $385. I also cant find a Festool dealer near me to see how it feels. Any feedback on that?

I also looked at the FEIN HandyMaster Cordless Drill Model ABS9 which I really liked for the feel and balance, but, it is only a 9.6V and I have no dealer near me that carries the 18V version.

Going on hype, I would buy the Festool, but is that the right decision?

Reply to
Neillarson

Based on the safety requirements for lithium battery charging, I would expect the lithium-ion unit to have better long-term battery survival (number of years in service).

For its premium price, the Festool *should* have a proper charger.

I haven't used either tool.

John

Reply to
John

You have three different brands now, and you want to buy a fourth? That is just crazy; there isn't that much difference between brands to justify having more than one. I am a dewalt man myself, but any complete brand is fine.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

I've played with the drills you mention in the stores. I have a Festool dealer in town. And Makita dealers too. The Festool is a pistol grip handle drill. Not the T handle everyone who does not use a drill for driving screws seems to love. I guess they love the fact the T handle drill stands up by itself. How many screw guns for drywallers are T handle? None. All drills made for driving screws all day are pistol grip. So the handle is a big difference in these drills. Other difference is the interchangeable chucks available for the Festool as an option. Expensive options. Right angle, and offset. And the Festool has the ability to take off the chuck and use the 1/4" socket for screw driver bits. Festool also gets fairly small and compact (front to back) with the chuck off. The Festool does feel good in the hand and has great balance.

With all that said, unless you have a real need for the Festool options, its a lot of extra money. A professional cabinet installer could use the Festool options. Others, probably not more than once a year at most. I like the Festool but cannot justify the huge extra price for me. And I don't need any more cordless drills anyway. Unless someone is really giving high quality ones away super cheap.

I am a big fan of smaller Volt drills. 12 or maybe 14.4 at most. I have big electric drills that can go for hours and hours if I need more power for drilling many big holes. I'll use the 12 volt for 99+% of the tasks.

Reply to
russellseaton1

Me too. I just upgraded from a 16.8V Craftsman to a 12V NiCad Panasonic (

Reply to
Andy

I checked out the Festool drill and compared to my DW it is NICE!

I don't need a $400 drill because I only play a contractor on TV. If you need a good tool that could save you time on the job then check out the Festool.

guy did tell me that not all of the gadgets for the Festool will accept 1/4", some only take metric, so keep that in mind while checking them out and asking about them.

Reply to
RayV

Fein kit is beautiffuly made, but their cordless drills are a couple of years behind in terms of performance.

I'd probably go with the Makita. Not quite so beautiful as Festool kit, but their build quality (UK market anyway) is good enough to deliver hard service for several years.

Naturally you only buy a cordless tool these days that has a real, smart charger.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

$385 is a lot of money considering that ALL battery operated drivers die. The Milwaulkee is top-rated, but how can anyone here know how that tool will feel in YOUR hand? If you need that kind of power don't you think a corded drill will serve you better in the long run?

Reply to
SWDeveloper

Check the amp ratings on the Festool to the Makita. I think you will be more pleased with the Makita.

Reply to
Leon

Those Festool drills are nice. As much as I speak highly of their sanders, $ 385.00 for a cordless drill is just nuts. There are Fein tools which I think are worth the money too, but, again, a drill/ driver doesn't need a jewelled movement to perform.

I buy impact drivers that have a nice warranty and have adequate balls to do the job...for cheap. Usually about 100 to 125 dollars Canadian.

5 year warranty, 2 batteries, smart-fast charger. If I need a drill with balls, I have 1/2" Milwaukee hammerdrill that will throw you off a scaffold if you're not careful. I pop 1-1/2 holes in solid surface countertops with a carbide holesaw like it is made from papier mach=E9. It has a wire.

I use a lot of tools with cords. There is something satifying to the fact that when I pull the trigger on my big Milwaukee drill, that a dryer down the street will eat another sock.

Robatoy

You are comparing apples with wheelbarrows. Festool is known for making very good equipment at a premium price. Makita is in the category of consumer to professional. At the end of the day, if your objective is to drill holes, go with the Makita. I have two Makitas and one of them is at least 10 years old - still works fine but a little more noisy than new.

Before you jump off you might check the price of batteries. I don't know if Festool batteries are priced like their equipment; but in 3-5 years battery cost can lead to a keep/replace-the-tool decision.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

And like all other tool companies even Festool does not build the best of every thing.

Reply to
Leon

To add to that comment, a recent cordless drill test with the Festool included did not favor the Festool.

Reply to
Leon

Ain't that the truth. When you add in cost vs performance, the rules really fall apart. There is always that "yes it is a really good tool, but for the price it should be the very best...Period." There are brands that get it right most of the time. Milwaukee is one of those. I own a lot of Milwaukee tools and I truly believe that you can't go wrong buying their tools. Having said that, there are those pesky exceptions.. like their belt sanders.. they're good tools, but other manufacturers make better ones.... more suitable for my needs. I own a few Makita pieces that I am very happy with.. like their belt- sander, the ever-so-famous 1013 SCMS, and a 9/16" hammer drill (A freebie with the mitre saw) that is nice and light and very powerful..and just great for doing work around the shop... like pocket holes etc. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think Makita makes a bad tool. There are others..like Metabo, AEG, Bosch and I would include Hitachi if they weren't so fugly. I have no experience with DeWalt to speak of. They're well liked by others.

r---> who didn't include Porter Cable.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" the disturber of the space/time continuium wrote

Well, that explains a lot. Thanks for all the socks!

Regards,

Rick

Reply to
Rick M

I agree with that! I bought their 86xx router and it's built like a cross between a locomotive and a jet engine. Too big for easy hand-held use, it fits under my router table like it was born for the purpose.

I've also used their larger drills and saber saws at work and if the bit gets stuck, you're going for a ride. :-)))

I'll be looking for the silver & red the next time I'm in the market for a quality hand-held too. You betcha golly.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

The Makita LXT is a very nice tool. I wouldn't hesitate to get that.

I would also dump all your other cordless stuff and standardize in the LXT line. One battery system, one charger, etc. The only exception to this would be if you got that little Bosch LiOn pocket driver.

Reply to
Noo