Makita - Made in America?

I've read many posts on here about the 'Made in America' label and was wondering about Makita.

According to their website, they have seven different manufacturing facilities around the world, including one in Buford, GA. The claim that "This world-class facility has built over 70 different models totaling over 28 million tools, all manufactured for the professional user."

Anyone know, or have an educated guess, as to which products are made in Buford vs at their other six plants around the world? Might be an interesting way to judge quality.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

deja asks:

Don't know what they build in other areas, nor, for that matter, what they build in Buford these days, but they were turning out a potfull (several million, according to the PR type) small motors for cordless tools on the production line when I visited there a few years ago. Place is very impressive. They were also building their then new 10" dual compound miter saw. Or was it

12"? Can't recall after seeing so many. Given the complexity of making major changes in produciton lines, especially small motor production lines, I'd guess something similar is still happening. I'd love to visit again.

Charlie Self "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." Mark Twain

Charlie Self

One example is the LS1013 sliding miter saw.

Reply to
AL

way to the grocery store. And now that I saw that, it's pretty sad that I've lived here in Buford for over eight years and never thought about trying to take a tour...or at least inquiring about it.

Can't verify exactly what they build there, but I can verify beyond a shadow of a doubt that the plant is there...not that that counts for a whole lot :)

Rob

Rob Walters

Snip

it's pretty sad that

I hear yah. I live ten minutes from the Milwaukee Electric Tool Plant, and never even bothered to see if they have tours. The local WoodCraft is owned by one of their former engineers.

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

Better go look fast, Makita is closing the shop and sending the manufacturing to Indonesia and Taiwan. They've just gone through another round of downsizing and all that will be left is a small (approx ) 350 mangerial staff.

I have a friend who was just given her walking papers after 14 years of svc...

moyo

Reply to
moyo