Makita drill on Amazon

Page 2 of 3
On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 11:07:20 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

A: Almost every hobbyist who has ever tried a heavy-duty project. Nature of the beast. That's how I've discovered which tools needed to be heavy duty. If it burns out during a project, opt higher next time. <snicker>

He should have bought the Skil, not the B&D.

Go forth and fester not again, sinner.
-- Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

I picked up DeWalt's 10 Amp 1/2" drill (corded) for myself for Christmas ($95 at the time). Plenty of torque... I still use my (much less powerful) cordless drill for most tasks, but both drills together are a good combination (for me).
Bill

No, a hobbyist can just *want* a certain brand or model, with no justification at all. It's a business decision for the professional, though "want" may enter into the formula too. ;-)

A hobbyist isn't likely to wear out either tool. Though there is an argument to be made for batteries.

On 6/4/2011 2:04 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

It isn't the "hobbyist" doing the justification - it's what did the manufacturer do to the product to justify selling it at a lower price?
The point is, in case you missed it also, is you can bet your sweet ass something is different besides the color scheme.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I read it. You said "regardless of user status", which is false, IMO. Hobbyists are motivated differently than professionals. A hobbyist may just buy the most expensive, assuming it's the best (Festool anyone? ;-). The marketing to each group is also different.

Sure, there is product differentiation in any consumer (or pro) product. Sometimes the only difference is that it is differentiated.

One would like to think so but there certainly is no guarantee of that. I've worked on products where the only difference between models was the marketing and the specs dictated by the marketing department. Though this is besides the point.
On 6/4/2011 3:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Tsk, tsk ... What on earth could possibly be "false" about ANY user asking a prudent, sensible question regarding a product they are contemplating purchasing, "regardless of user status"?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I'm sure you understand that there is a difference between what is "prudent" and what *is*. That's only part of what's "false". ;-)
On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 23:21:14 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Hey, if you don't like it here, I'm sure quite a few people will be perfectly happy to say goodbye to you.

They're *everywhere*.
If you were half as smart as you think you are you'd know how to use a killfile.

That sounds like getting rid of weeds by keeping them from germinating.
Or keeping the neighbors dog doo-doo out of your yard by using a shovel.
Like dust collection, problems like this seem best avoided at the source!

Are you suggesting prior restraint?

Neither good metaphors for netkopping.

I'm really surprised that you, of all people here, are one who wants others to not read what I (and some others) write. I really didn't expect you to be one of the "tolerant" leftists.

I think that the bottom line is that if your posts berate people then I don't have room in my life for them. Not only that, I won't want to read them in the first place. There are far too many other uses I have for my time--and I suspect that the same holds for the others who have expressed similar disapproval.

I call the terminally stupid, stupid. That's what they are. OTOH, I don't believe I've berated you or Swingman, here. Disagreed, certainly, but that's obviously a problem for most in this group.

As I've told you a few times now, THEN DON'T! No one is forcing you to read anything.

That's fine, the line gets crossed when you (third person) actively try keep others from posting. You're perfectly free to censor what you read. Mob rule is ugly, though.

Do you know what your obligations are as a member of a community? Learn how to behave yourself and I think you will avoid most of the difficulties you are having. Think of it this way: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. That seems to be where you are running into trouble.

You misunderstand. I'm not interested in avoiding anything if it means having one's POV stifled.

No, I'm running into trouble because people disagree.

If you are willing to join the military service I think they have a program that will help you work all that out.

I think you're nutz.

Yes and they spread like CANCER! You could call them WEEDS!

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

How ironic. You haven't put me in your killfile, so you're simply not that smart.

Wow, I didn't think you were *that* stupid, but I guess I'll have to explain... You're the one who doesn't want others to hear what I say. My suggestion was that perhaps you could start by taking your own advice. I know it's not as fun as telling others what to do, but it might protect your sensitive eyes.