Makita drill on Amazon

For those who are interested in a good deal on a cordless drill:

For today only Amazon has Makita LXFD01CW 18-Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2-Inch Driver-Drill Kit, list $378, on sale for $149.99, free shipping.

Just Wondering

Yeah, I saw that... $189 at Toolbarn, $199 at Home Depot, not such a deal once you add in shipping. It is always a joke that they show SRP at $300+.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

OK, I can be an idiot... I thought it was $179 and didn't see free shipping. Tail between legs.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Unless I'm sorely mistaken, that is the lesser, DIY version of Makita.

If you're really serious about your drills and use them in your work, check out these before you leap:

Swingman

You're absolutely right, of course. This NG has readers who are hobbiests (like myself) as well as those who rely on their tools to put food on their tables and a roof over their heads. The latter can usually afford to pay the higher price for the higher quality item, while the former benefit from the best price on a good tool that's a notch down from heavy-duty professional stuff.

Reply to
Just Wondering

... and many don't even know there is a difference. Thus my post.

Reply to
Swingman

"Just Wondering" wrote

It isn't always a matter of what they can afford. It is a matter of what the job requires. Buying tools not up to the job can cost a lot in terms of time, safety and multiple purchases of an inadequate tool.

I put my money where it is best used. Whether that is a cheapie or a big, expensive professional model (Or something in between.) . Although I reserve the right to lust after big, professional tools I can not afford or justify buying.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

AND if you find that this grade suites you, for $70 more you can get the above PLUS an impact driver, flash light, and an extra battery.

Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

If you want it right this minute, the LCT200W (2 tools, no flashlight) is available at Home Depot for $214.

The LCT300W (3 tools) above is a great kit, and the flashlight is worth the extra $5.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

If you don't need the really gutsy batteries (the 3.0Ah LXTs), that's probably not a bad deal. If you do, go with this Makita combo:

(crap, I paid that much for my kit w/o the drill, damnit)

-- Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There's not a big difference in the specs between the two flavors, other than the higher end set's driver drill also is a hammer drill, and its impact driver has a bit more torque. Other than that it's mainly a difference in battery size and run time. You wouldn't go wrong choosing either model and you could upgrade the batteries at a later date (though it makes more sense to buy them initially).

RicodJour

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I think that's the kit (LXT211) HD had next to the LCT200W. It's $9 more at HD than Amazon, but the advantage is of course you can have it in 2 hours rather than 2 days.

I felt that the bigger batteries knocked the balance off to the battery side, so the tool didn't feel as good as the one with the 1.5 Ah batteries.

It does depend on what you're doing, but if you've got 3 1.5 Ah batteries you can keep one charging while still using both drill and impact. The batteries are ready to go in as little as 20 minutes (but I like to leave them on until the fan on the charger shuts off, about an hour or so.)

Any of the Makita sets mentioned here are probably going to be good choices. It just depends on what you like and what you need.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

When I switched to get a lighter tool with longer battery life (my Bosch Impactor is a 14.4v) I found it less than a pound lighter. A test with the two side by side, I found them very close in performance. Battery life was only slightly better on the lithiums, but they charge twice as quickly, 15 mins vs 30 mins. I love them both.

FS: Bosch 14.4v Impactor, 2 batteries, charger, hard case, $150 delivered. 3 years use, still going strong. (new: $420 retail)

-- Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

>>You're absolutely right, of course. This NG has readers who are

OTOH, the professional has to justify expenses with income. Hobbiests don't have to justify anything, well, other than to their SWMBO.

Reply to
krw

What pays when buying any tool, and regardless of user status, is to question what was sacrificed, with regard to engineering and component quality, to justify the reduction in MSRP for very similar models of the same brand.

A more robust tool for $100 more and that will last just three years longer will put you ahead of the game at a reasonable yearly cost, versus replacing a cheaper tool earlier ... whether you're a hobbyist or professional ... taking exception to that fact, as the OP did, is nothing more than nitpicking/missing the point, an apparent family trait.

Reply to
Swingman

Then there are two other things that have to be considered.

  1. Frequency of use. The hobbyist, or homeowner, may use the tool for one job, and then not use it again for months or even years. The professional may use it every day.
  2. The professional can claim the tool as a business expense The homeowner can't.
Reply to
willshak

willshak wrote in news:HqadnY4od6gJS3XQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

I'm a hobbyist. I could afford to buy a Festool Ro90. Now I have 2 ROSs you can have if you come and pick them up. Just go down the thruway, take

287 south, then 208 south. More directions upon reply, if necessary. .
Reply to
Han

That whole 'hobbyist vs pro' argument varies a lot when the type of tool is taken into consideration. A drill, impact driver is less likely to be all that different as either the pro or hobbyist drill will make a hole and drive a screw somehow, eventually.... The Big Diff shows up in say... a jig saw? A ROS? Even circular saws. Oh, and beltsanders... BIG difference in beltsanders... the cheap shit don't work, period.

I love a good tool as much as the next guy, but when it comes to drills, the cordless varieties are pretty good for under $ 100.00, if I need to do anything serious, like driving 30 Tapcons, I will run an extension and uncork my Magnum HoleShooter Milwaukee. That cord simply doesn't bother me. On the other end of the spectrum, I'm upsidedown inside a cabinet installation: "Is the battery fresh? Does it have a LED? Is it light? Is it powerful enough?".. my 12 volt Lion Bosch's (I have an impact, small pistol-type and an angle driver) almost always fit the bill. In betwixt those extremes, I have a $99 Porter Cable 18V NiCd with two batteries, two-speed, adjustable clutch and tons of balls. If the thing breaks, or the batteries die...off to the trashbin.

Now having said all that.. if I had nothing..and start from scratch, AND I could only have one, and it HAD to be cordless, I'd get one of those Makita kits (The LXMMCVVVXTRVS??) or a Milwaukee kit (I like those Milwaukee people a lot)... and I would get the best I could afford.

Ultimately, the word 'longevity' doesn't exist in the cordless world. Them batteries will always keep making decisions for you... One 14.4 volt NiCd for $ 89.00 for a 6-year-old drill vs $ 99.00 for a whole Porter Cable 18 volt kit with TWO batteries.

Reply to
Robatoy

LOL ... After buying my first Festool sander I immediately gave my Bosch ROS to my favorite sub .... no way I'm ever using another sander, willingly. :)

You indeed followed the old wRec axiom regarding tool purchases, which seems to have been lost since the advent of 'Chinese cheap' ... Paraphrased as buy the absolute best you can afford and only cry once.

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:1862029864328807466.056935kac-nospam.com@216.196.97.131:

Yeah, well, /now/ I wish I hadn't laid out the money for those little sanders.

Reply to
Han